summer after 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faeryprincess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do most students do during the summer after their first year of medical school? what did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

At NYCOM we get about six weeks off, four if we're stuck taking re-takes. Most people I know are spending the break traveling. You might as well do it then. Who knows when you'll get another chance.

Does it matter if you do anything clinical related during the first summer off? I have heard that it doesn't and I have heard that it does! Any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Classmates interested in more competitive specialties for residency used that summer to do research, make connections, etc. but lots of us just played (which is what I suggest you do). :)

guys...let's face it, this is your last summer you're gonna have off until you retire....go have fun and enjoy yourself...especially after surviving your first year....most of my class is going to europe....i am going to bust my ass and work the first half of the summer, then go backbacking the last half until school starts again in the fall....

ENJOY the summer! do something you think you will not be able to do again (i am going to try skydiving!) once you get into the hustle and bustle of it all!

what about summers after your 2nd 3rd yrs? are they similar or will you be studying for boards? :rolleyes:

thanks for all the input. guess i needed some reassurance that i can play next summer, as it will probably be my last real summer off! :)

The summer is the only time when you will get a REAL break and that also for a whole month. I am going to Europe and on vacation to the Swiss Alps. Yes, you do get a lot of time to play , especially during the first year. I watched every Yankees game untill the world series last year while I was IN med school and I managed to pass everything in med school. So, don't think med school is all work and no play. You have just got to learn how to balance work and play well and you will be fine. Have a great vacation.