Summer Before M1 Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notnotreggiebush

Reaction score
Would like to have some spending money before drowning in debt. What are the most lucrative (and potentially laid-back) summer jobs for students the summer before M1?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are the blue-collar type:
-Landscaping (but it's hard work). I made about 10gs one summer doing this.
-Roofing (but it's hard work)
-Waiting tables at a popular restaurant
-Any job working for your local town should pay pretty well (but you often need connections for this). I did this one summer and made ~400/week for sitting in a garage eating peanuts/sunflower seeds and watching TV.

Easier money, less pay options:
-Tutoring. People say you can make $50+/hour, it's highly dependent on the area. As a former teacher, where I'm from, you're lucky to get more than $15-20/hour.
-LIfeguard
-Camp counselor
-Golf course

Make sure to balance effort vs. gain before accepting a job. You don't want to be annoyed for chump change the summer before you start medical school. Relax as much as possible, or go for it and rake in some cash. Aiming for the middle will most likely be a waste of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do whatever you like. No matter how much you make that summer, most likely you will only put a dent in your tuition payment. I worked at Chikfila over the summer haha and spent most my money right back on eating out with friends - no ragrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uber/Lyft. It was fun, I made my own hours, the money was actually pretty good and I had some good stories when I was meeting all of those new med school folks. The only caveat now being the rona...