Summer before Med School - program or bum around

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubswannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you do?
What would you recommend in retrospect?

I got a summer position with Lead America which is an intense program for high school kids where I' m going to be a Team Leader (something akin to a counselor). Anyway the program is from June 13 to Aug 9 and Med School starts I believe Aug 16. It's intense because the hours are from basically 6/7am to 11:30pm or 12am every day and you're dealing with kids the entire time (high school kids about 16 of them). The benefit is that they pay for all travel food and housing expenses and give me a stipend that comes out to about 2800 for the summer (which will I guess put a small dent in Med School loans, but not really).

It's either that or the usual which is to work out, play some basketball, and work on some business ideas. But I think I may need a break from that because that's the usual.

My concern is whether in your opinion you would recommend having an interesting, travel fulled summer like that one or to instead pretty much bum around before medical school starts.

Might I mention the program spends a week in each: Washington DC, LA, Boston, and NYC.
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree with the above poster. If LeadAmerica is anything like NSLC, this will be the most fantastic and fun summer of your life, and you will make some really amazing friends on staff!

Members don't see this ad :)
BUM

sweet Jesus, you do realize that once school starts you're going to be too busy to do ANYTHING else, right?

I am doing OBLC this summer. I think you need to keep busy because now we have to start doing everything 4 our residency apps.

Do whichever you will have more fun doing. There really isn't one or the other that you should do so do what you want.

That sounds cool. If you're doing it for any other reason than for your own enjoyment/benefit, then don't do it. Otherwise, have fun!

It seems like you already have a preference...

In my opinion, do what you think would be the best use of your time.

Once med school starts, you'll probably feel the push to make everything you do medically relevant, so if you want to enjoy something non-medical, the summer before would be the time..

I ended up working until early August (I LOVED my job), drove across the country visiting friends along the way, went directly the beach and spent 3 days there, then started school a few days later. It was awesome.

Btw, that $2800 will probably look mighty appealing once you're in school... every little bit helps

Oh, I'm assuming you wouldn't have applied to Lead America if you didn't have an interest in working with HS students and traveling... which is why I said it sounds like you have a preference already

bumming around

or working out with POWERTHIRST

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs[/YOUTUBE]

bum around

spring break has been my only real time off so far (we were still midway through a block during winter break) and damn, it has never felt so good to sit around and do nothing all day

I spent my last month before med school started in Australia with some college buddies

Be selfish and have some "me" time because once you start med school your free time quickly goes away