Summer before vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureCrazyCatDVM22

UC Davis c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m going to vet school! Yay! I start August 13th. I graduate undergrad June 15th. That means about two months of vacation. I’ve worked since high school part and full time. I haven’t ever not worked. I am going on my seventh year of undergrad since I spent 4 years at community college getting my A.A. I currently work at a vet hospital as a tech and have been there two years now. I don’t want to quit but I definitely don’t want to work full time during those two months. I really want to relax and visit family. Would this look wrong if I tell them I want to only work maybe a couple Saturdays a month? Just need some advice! Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that would be bad at all! And thank you for not asking what you should study over the summer. :p Taking time to relax is the right decision! Here's a thread from last year about summer plans before vet school if you need any fun ideas: Accepted Students (c/o '21) What Are Your Summer Plans?
There was a similar thread for c/o 2020 too.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m going to vet school! Yay! I start August 13th. I graduate undergrad June 15th. That means about two months of vacation. I’ve worked since high school part and full time. I haven’t ever not worked. I am going on my seventh year of undergrad since I spent 4 years at community college getting my A.A. I currently work at a vet hospital as a tech and have been there two years now. I don’t want to quit but I definitely don’t want to work full time during those two months. I really want to relax and visit family. Would this look wrong if I tell them I want to only work maybe a couple Saturdays a month? Just need some advice! Thank you! :)

Definitely not wrong. I’m a total workaholic and still spend every free moment at the clinic that I can, but many of my friends take breaks off and took the summer off before vet school. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not working the summer before vet school...you may very well be thanking yourself once school starts. Read some good books, travel, binge watch TV...whatever, definitely take a breath and enjoy because the free time will be limited come August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that would be bad at all! And thank you for not asking what you should study over the summer. :p Taking time to relax is the right decision! Here's a thread from last year about summer plans before vet school if you need any fun ideas: Accepted Students (c/o '21) What Are Your Summer Plans?
There was a similar thread for c/o 2020 too.

Totally thought this was what this thread was going to be. No one could possibly ever study anything during the summer before vet school that could possibly prepare them for what’s coming lol

Reactions: 2 users
I plan to work 4-5 days a week (depends on what our staff situation looks like at my clinic) then go to DC and NYC for 10 days with my boyfriend, move and start school a few days later!
Work isn’t exhausting for me though, I really enjoy my job and I’ll still have lots of time to Netflix binge and work out and go out and all that good stuff.

I work full time right now at a small animal hospital, but definitely plan on dropping down to like 3 or 4 days a week when summer comes! I think they’ll be fine considering they’ll get a lot of students wanting to just work for the summer. I’m hoping to hit up the beach, go to concerts, and ride/show my horse a lot before all of my free time ends haha

I totally agree! I love my job working as a veterinary assistant at an amazing animal hospital but, even though I'm going to continue to work there until I move away for vet school, having fun at agility competitions is planned in my near future. Our first one is scheduled in mid-April!

The summer before vet school, I worked full time in June, part time in July, and stopped by August so I could have 3 full weeks off. It was worth it!

I would tell your boss that you want to cut your hours sooner rather than later so they can staff appropriately (if you haven't already told them you are leaving completely come August).

Reactions: 1 user
I plan to work 4-5 days a week (depends on what our staff situation looks like at my clinic) then go to DC and NYC for 10 days with my boyfriend, move and start school a few days later!
Work isn’t exhausting for me though, I really enjoy my job and I’ll still have lots of time to Netflix binge and work out and go out and all that good stuff.
Don’t forget about COLE :p it starts the Monday before school starts haha

Of course not! Haha in my mind that’s “starting school” even if it’s not starting classes. I’m really excited for COLE actually I feel like a little kid going to summer camp hoping to meet my best friends :)

Thanks guys for all your advice! I'm likely gonna do the couple Saturdays a month starting Mid July so I can have a month to go on vacation and travel :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you doing COLE as a mentor?
Of course not! Haha in my mind that’s “starting school” even if it’s not starting classes. I’m really excited for COLE actually I feel like a little kid going to summer camp hoping to meet my best friends :)
Hey WSU! :hello: Speaking of COLE I need to go buy a sleeping bag...

ETA: I will be spending my summer working and kayaking...mostly kayaking...

Hey WSU! :hello: Speaking of COLE I need to go buy a sleeping bag...

Hello! Not like I’ve been, but you’d probably be fine just bringing a fitted sheet and some blankets if you don’t want to buy a sleeping bag anyway for future adventures

I'm planning on going to Cuba with friends for 10 days, family vacay in Florida on the beach for a week, and possible going to Spain/Europe for a week or so if I can find a cheap flight... But that may wait until next summer. In between all that, I am going to work part time at the e-clinic, and do some of my part-time/make-my-own-schedule grocery delivery (best job ever) , as well as move into the new apartment!

As a recent graduate, I would suggest taking a vacation. You're not going to get much of a break in school so enjoy it while you can!

I'm probably going to continue working full-time at my current job, PetSmart, to save up some money. Then I'll probably binge watch some anime and catch up on sleep on the weekends. I may take a family trip or two this summer.

Reactions: 1 users
When do you all start school? I start in early August, so not much time off! I hear some schools start in September. I'm saving now for trips! :)

I was going to work too much this summer but recently decided to work 3 days a week and every other weekend for two months then 1 day a week and every other weekend. Then every other weekend until Labor Day because the owner does a summer bonus if you stay though Labor Day! Hopefully i still get to do some fun things but I have been out of school since December when i found out i was accepted. We will see if i keep the 3 days for 2 months or if i cut it down haha

I graduated in December and have been working close to full time. I have been accepted, but not sure which school I'm going to yet, so after I move to where I end up going mid June, I am taking the rest of the summer off and going on two trips. This is my last summer of freedom so figured I better enjoy it!! :)

I'm a non-traditional student, but I worked through until the second day of orientation for vet school (teleworked during sessions) and I really regret it. I took a 2 week vacation over the summer, but I wish I'd taken some more time for myself and to see family, etc. I would recommend taking the time for family and relaxing!

On the same kind of note, I am entering CSU this fall and am planning to work up until the end of July so that I will have about 2 weeks off before school starts. However, I am feeling apprehensive that I might not be as prepared as other incoming students for some of the fields of study like pharmacology and surgical techniques (anesthesia etc). Did anyone else have the same feeling but it was unfounded? Or, if a lot of people did know a chunk of drug names and action pathways is there anything you recommend looking over before school starts? I think that pharmacology is the area I really feel I'm lacking but I might be at the same level of other students and I just don't know it...

On the same kind of note, I am entering CSU this fall and am planning to work up until the end of July so that I will have about 2 weeks off before school starts. However, I am feeling apprehensive that I might not be as prepared as other incoming students for some of the fields of study like pharmacology and surgical techniques (anesthesia etc). Did anyone else have the same feeling but it was unfounded? Or, if a lot of people did know a chunk of drug names and action pathways is there anything you recommend looking over before school starts? I think that pharmacology is the area I really feel I'm lacking but I might be at the same level of other students and I just don't know it...
Do NOT study over the summer! Enjoy your time off, studying beforehand won't help very much and you may even teach yourself things incorrectly. Your professors will teach you what you need to know so everybody is on the same level, plenty of people come in without tons of clinical experience. Also I don't know CSU's curriculum, but at least here we didn't have pharmacology until second year, so if you reviewed it summer before first year you'd probably forget it by the time you need to know it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Don't stress it. So long as you've taken the pre-reqs you'll be at the same level as at least some of your fellow students. Not everyone has worked in a vet clinic before vet school or knows anything about the basic drugs used in vet med (I know I didn't know much at all beyond whatever I'd have to give my own dogs or what we used in my research mice). Don't worry, some of your classmates will think they know a lot already but there's so much to learn in vet school that really they won't have too much of a head start. And despite what it may feel like, vet school is not a competition. Once you get there you're all just trying to get through and get that DVM (or VMD I guess).

Reactions: 3 users

You need to nip this line of thinking in the bud now. Do not compare yourself to others. There is very little advantage anyone has over anyone else once classes start, and if there was one, it ends quickly once the flood gates are opened. Anxiety is your enemy in vet school. Find out ways to retrain your brain now into funneling that into more productive outlets. Start an exercise regimen, find a hobby that can be continued through school, just meditate and relax for this transition period.

Reactions: 8 users
This summer I will be:
Not studying
Looking for housing (end of this month)
Sleeping
Working some
Going up north
Sitting at a pool
Going to mackinac island
Hanging out with my friends
Eating
Baking
Eating baked goods
And also volunteering at the humane society more and playing with puppies

This summer I will be:
Not studying
Sleeping
Working some
Going up north
Sitting at a pool
Going to mackinac island
Eating
Baking
Eating baked goods
Sending baked goods to my favorite Egg
you missed one, no worries. FTFY! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
This summer I will be:
Not studying
Sleeping
Working some
Going up north
Sitting at a pool
Going to mackinac island
Eating
Baking
Eating baked goods
Sending baked goods to my favorite Egg
Playing WW

helped fix it for you as well :biglove:

helped fix it for you as well :biglove:

Nah, see below

This summer I will be:
Not studying
Sleeping
Working some
Going up north
Sitting at a pool
Going to mackinac island
Eating
Baking
Spectating WW
Eating baked goods

I hadn't worked in a vet clinic for 20 months by the time I started vet school. I honestly didn't remember much as far as drugs go. Don't touch any studying this summer. Relax. Look up fun things to do in FoCo.

I hadn't worked in a vet clinic for 20 months by the time I started vet school. I honestly didn't remember much as far as drugs go. Don't touch any studying this summer. Relax. Look up fun things to do in FoCo.
The only drugs I knew were the drugs they put me on for my jaw surgery the summer before. With the exception of physiology (in which I really don’t know why we need to learn drugs in phys when no other school learns drugs in phys) I haven’t needed to know drugs yet. I have confidence in our 2 pharmacology classes next yearto give me proficiency :laugh:

:hello:
I go to CSU right now and you absolutely don't have to worry about these things. Pharm and anesthesia are both introduced in our second year curriculum and there isn't any expectation for you to know anything about them when you enter vet school. We slowly introduce some very basic concepts throughout our first year classes (for example, what pathways NSAIDs act on) and it's taught to us with the expectation that we've never learned it before (aka it'll be fine :)).

We have a huge variety of backgrounds and levels of experience within our class and the curriculum doesn't assume any base set of knowledge except for the prerequisites we were required to take to get in. My class has also been exceptionally helpful and eager to help out any classmates who are struggling, don't have as much experience in a certain skill or subject, or who just want to hear a different perspective on something.

I will also add re: surgical skills other than anesthesia that our main surgery professor is a really nice guy and that the way our surgery curriculum is set up is to ease us into things and make us feel as confident as possible in our skill development throughout school. Don't be intimidated!

If you're still interested in learning more about it during first year, poke around some of the clubs. I know quite a few offer fun and educational wet labs relating to these subjects and at least one club has a wet lab where they go over parts of anesthesia machines and helps you learn more about what they do before you formally learn about it in school.

As for things to do in Fort Collins... I recommend checking out the Holiday Twin Drive-In Theater, the Lyric Cinema Cafe, hiking Horsetooth, checking out Old Town, going to a food truck rally in City Park, and checking out Coyote Ridge Natural Area.

:hello:
I go to CSU right now and you absolutely don't have to worry about these things. Pharm and anesthesia are both introduced in our second year curriculum and there isn't any expectation for you to know anything about them when you enter vet school. We slowly introduce some very basic concepts throughout our first year classes (for example, what pathways NSAIDs act on) and it's taught to us with the expectation that we've never learned it before (aka it'll be fine :)).

We have a huge variety of backgrounds and levels of experience within our class and the curriculum doesn't assume any base set of knowledge except for the prerequisites we were required to take to get in. My class has also been exceptionally helpful and eager to help out any classmates who are struggling, don't have as much experience in a certain skill or subject, or who just want to hear a different perspective on something.

I will also add re: surgical skills other than anesthesia that our main surgery professor is a really nice guy and that the way our surgery curriculum is set up is to ease us into things and make us feel as confident as possible in our skill development throughout school. Don't be intimidated!

If you're still interested in learning more about it during first year, poke around some of the clubs. I know quite a few offer fun and educational wet labs relating to these subjects and at least one club has a wet lab where they go over parts of anesthesia machines and helps you learn more about what they do before you formally learn about it in school.

Thanks! This really helped ease my mind. It's not so much of comparing myself to others as it is I don't want to be the one behind in the class... but if the expectation is that everyone will be learning pharm material as new that really helps! I am definitely planning on joining a few clubs as well just to really jump in to all of the aspects of vet school !!