Summer between first and second yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAlovin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do most people do in the summer between the first and second year of medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Of the 200 in my class about half are either doing research or medical missions abroad. The rest I assume are traveling and relaxing. Some may pick up part time jobs to make a little money for the fun.

I am doing research, but it is so low key I will be able to travel a bit and enjoy myself.

Clinical Research in my hometown so I can do something productive while also spending the summer with all of my friends and family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical research is the best way to go. Find some PI in a field you are genuinely interested in who you can work with for the next several years. You might get a publication or two out of it as well as a solid rec. Summer is a good time to start imo.

I would say about 1/2 of my class did Clinical Preceptorships (they were paid) for 1 month of the 2 month summer.

Around 1/4 (myself included) did research- I did clinical research in my hometown but also got to go to clinic and conferences weekly because I had a great PI who wanted me to gain clinical knowledge too.

The other 1/4 just rested, traveled, and hung out with family and friends. Which isn't a bad idea because MSII is a lot of work!

If you want to do research during that time, is there any benefit to doing basic research, or is clinical research really the way to go?

I know one thing I want to do is take a vacation! Right now, I'd choose a cruise, especially if I could go with just my husband, and have the kids visiting their grandparents. Sounds like heaven, to get that much time with just the hubster.

Beyond that, I have no idea.

If you want to do research during that time, is there any benefit to doing basic research, or is clinical research really the way to go?

Quite honestly research in general looks great. The reason why most people do clinical research is because its much easier to get published in a short amount of time. I'd do what's interesting to you because when it comes down to it it's the last free summer you're going to have for a long time.

It's looking more and more likely that I'm not going to do anything medically related. I was trying to do some research/shadowing stuff, but now it looks like I'll just chill. Still hoping for something, though.

You can do anything you want. Research can be good for your resume (but at least try to make it a meaningful experience if you're going to spend your summer doing it). Clinical experience can help you figure out what you want to do. Medical missions are good volunteer opportunities, especially if you have a great interest in that.

Taking the time off is not a bad thing and will not adversely affect you when applying for residency. It won't give you a boost that a research project with publication might, but no one will ever ask "what did you do with that time between first and second year." If you really want to take a vacation, this is maybe your last chance (other than during fourth year) to do it.

The goal is to get a publication. Bench research projects can take over a year to get written up. Clinical, especially retrospective, research can be turned into an article within a month.

The goal is to get a publication. Bench research projects can take over a year to get written up. Clinical, especially retrospective, research can be turned into an article within a month.
As you described, getting a pub is pretty difficult (in both areas), so that shouldn't be the goal.

Realistically, if one wants a first authorship, one should roughly expect it to take a year. Summer programs are good for learning skills to that end, in addition to making contacts and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you described, getting a pub is pretty difficult (in both areas), so that shouldn't be the goal.

Realistically, if one wants a first authorship, one should roughly expect it to take a year. Summer programs are good for learning skills to that end, in addition to making contacts and such.

To be clear I meant that in a clinical retrospective study you can do the majority of the work in a one or two month period (IRB approval --> data mining --> data analysis). To get to a publication, of course, there would still be some comitment over the rest of the year for the write ups and edits but a second year student could pull that off. On the other hand it seems like bench research requires a large, year round time commitment just to get the raw data for the publication.

sleep, get drunk, go to the beach, repeat.

:thumbup::thumbup: Do something fun. It's your last chance.
Me:
amnesia.jpg

asdf

Last edited:
Dude you should read Big Robbins and study USMLE 10 hrs a day all summer....

(kidding)
trollface.jpg

My school gives us 4 weeks to study for Step 1. I'm wondering if should review M1 material during the summer.

has anyone volunteered abroad with international medical relief? i am interested in one of their medical missions, but i just wanted to hear from someone who has gone on one through them. thanks!

I got first authorship on a clinical research project I did this past summer and the abstract has already been accepted to a conference with publication acceptance as well-just not in print yet. We started the IRB approval process in March so we had it all when break started. It is doable if you get in with good researchers who are as motivated as you are. It helps if the researchers are MD's since they understand having the publication before residency interviews is important.

For those doing clinical research, how many hours per week did you usually spend working on it during the summer? And was it mostly data analysis that you could do anywhere, anytime (rather than having to go to the lab)?

Anybody getting paid for your clinical research work? I landed two at great hospitals but they are both volunteer positions.

Getting as huge and in shape as I can so I can attract dem nurses

I'm applying for several clinical research positions this summer, all unpaid unfortunately....gotta beef up that resume for ortho...

Anybody getting paid for your clinical research work? I landed two at great hospitals but they are both volunteer positions.

My school has a program set up so that anyone wanting to do summer research gets a stipend from our school. ~$3500 I believe. Its awesome; without it I don't think most of us would end up getting paid. Just another instance of us being cheap labor so we can improve our resumes...we all did it to get into med school, why not do it to get into residency too?:rolleyes: