Summer Biostats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vext840

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in some advice about enrolling in a biostats course for this summer, and I'd love to see what others think about this situation. Actionable questions in bold below.

I applied to two postbac programs in this last cycle to test the waters and was accepted at Jefferson and waitlisted at Bryn Mawr. I decided to take another year to work more and gain additional experience, and I plan to pursue another round of applications this fall to matriculate in a postbac in 2021.

I grateful to have a follow up phone call with the director of the Bryn Mawr program in which he told me that the obvious weakness of my application was my poor senior math showing in both high school and college. Otherwise, I have a 3.78 uGPA and a 3.91 science GPA as calculated by PostBacCAS. He recommended that I take a biostats class at a 4-year university to prove that I could thrive with college-level mathematics coursework, and I'm sure it would be beneficial in the long run to know about biostats in any case.

With all colleges switching to remote options this summer, I'm interested in whether or not I should take advantage of out of state options. What is the best way to look for courses? What courses are the best in terms of both rigor and reputation? What kinds of skills should be on the syllabus? What software should I know how to use by the end of this?

I'm a PA resident and am currently looking at Berkeley Extension, Penn State, and HES (course is waitlisted).

Thanks in advance for any advice, and let me know if I should clarify anything.

Members don't see this ad.