Summer break in med-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chattkis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if med school is a year round deal or do you get summer breaks and spring break and christmas break? Also, do most med students vacation or work during those times if they are given? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

my understanding is that the only summer break you have is inbetween first and second year. depending on the school i guess, at stony brook they get a week off for christmas and spring break.

My experience (as an MS4)....three months after MS1, six weeks after MS2, and christmas and spring break (about 3-4 weeks total) during MS3 and then there is MS 4 (i've had 4 months!!). We also got christmas and spring breaks during the preclinical years, so it isn't too bad. I don't know what most people do...i've taken several vacations and worked here and there as well. Many people work/do research during the summer after first year, it just depends on the person and his/her goals. Good luck and enjoy your free time!

wendywellesley said:
my understanding is that the only summer break you have is inbetween first and second year. depending on the school i guess, at stony brook they get a week off for christmas and spring break.

At Baylor you only get like two to 3 weeks off before you start your second year. They do this so that you will finish early