Summer class AND research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panvard92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how people managed to do this. I thought if you did research over the summer it would be like a full-time job because you're trying to get more done in less amount of time. With that being said, how it is possible to do a significant amount of research over 3 or 4 months AND take a summer class (which sometimes might not end till the early afternoon, and on top of that if it's a science class, there are labs and stuff).

Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO you are spreading yourself to thin. The quality of your work in both the class and research need to be there. I'm not sure what type of research you are getting into, but from my experience, it takes much more time than what you dedicate to the lab. There are articles to read, things to type, etc. You are a pre-med, while I applaud your efforts, I think you should do cut back a little bit and enjoy the summer.

If you do have to dedicate to both, time management as always is key. Just be efficient on the weekends and you will be good.

It's doable. I did it after my freshman year with two classes and I'm doing it again this summer while taking two classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
im doing research for the first half then summer course the second half. summer is long enough to do both if you plan in advance!

Same boat here, I'm taking O-Chem II + lab while doing research all summer. It's going to be hard once class starts in a couple weeks, but it should definitely be doable.

Do you have a stipend that requires you to work a certain number of hours a week? (usually around 40). If not, and you are volunteering, or being paid an hourly wage or something, I would just keep an open line of communication with you PI or the post doc your working with, and keep them informed of the situation. Last summer, I was able to switch around between 12-30 hours a week and still take classes, depending on the demand for that week.

Dont expect to do "significant" research in any 3-4 month period without dedicating yourself at least full time (6-8 hours a day) and even then, you are probably not going to get much done but doing some basic techniques depending on the lab/solution making and some reading. During 2 1/2 years of my undergrad, I've dedicated at least 50 hours a week in my lab since I started and I continue to work there (Graduated this May). I work every holiday and every weekend. Even after 2 years, I could have a first author paper but it would be to a junk journal, so I have settled for 4-5 (one in submission) 2nd to 4th author papers at decent journals.

edit: Btw, You should not be worrying about research and a summer class. You should learn to juggle more than studying to get some experience beyond school even if it is not research (like volunteering, clinicals, shadowing etc). If you work already then dismiss this. I am no genius by any means but I handled organic II/lab (6 credits) and Biochem (5 credits)/basic statistics in two summers and came out with A/B and A-/A . Was a good learning experience considering the stress

Its totally doable! I did research last semester while having three courses. Just prioritize your time and you should be fine.

My Experience:

Summer 2009
Physics I w/ lab...grade A
Physics II w/ lab...grade A
Neuro research

Summer 2010
Calculus I...grade A
Calculus II...grade A
Cardio/Surgery Research

Moral? It's doable if you're committed.

Well....I'm not thinking about doing it NOW. I just finished freshman year so I'm sticking to volunteering/relaxing this summer.

I'm asking because I'm might double major and I want to take a couple classes over the summer to make the load during the semesters less. With that being said, I also want to do research because...I want to do research. And I have a lot of lab experience already, so if I do research over the summer I won't be starting for scratch or anything.

I just don't know what most profs expect from you when you say you want to work with them over the summer. Basically: I'm afraid it might piss them off if I'm like "hey I'd love to research with you buuut I'm also gonna take a class which is gonna take time away from the lab"

Im doing 2 classes, neuro research and volunteering and im applying for jobs lol.
(actually i can do most of the neuro research at home so i kinda need a job)