summer classes in amcas gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwaPremed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just want to know. i'm planning on taking some summer classes this year and will those be calculated into my amcas gpa if i submit my amcas a little later, like august????? anyone know?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

AwaPremed said:
just want to know. i'm planning on taking some summer classes this year and will those be calculated into my amcas gpa if i submit my amcas a little later, like august????? anyone know?

thanks

If you have grades...and you send transcripts to verify these grades...they should be calculated.

Some people view August AMCAS applications as late. Are your summer classes for prereqs? Are they really worth holding up your application?

It seems you're focusing on the GPA impact (or perhaps I'm reading you incorrectly). Will the number of courses you have planned significantly impact your cumulative/BCPM GPA?

APPLY EARLY is always great advice.

Hope that helped.

my summer classes are prereqs. so is it better to submit my amcas on time and then send in a transcript later. or submit everything much later?

Members don't see this ad :)
Required prereqs should come before the application. You can/should complete everything on you AMCAS app...personal statement...experiences...bio info...and all grades in the courses you've completed so that when your summer classes are done that's all you have left to enter. Send your transcripts immediately (as soon as they as available)!!! I submitted my app in Mid-August. It was verified in about a week.

Are the summer courses at a different institution than your undergrad institution?
Are you taking course this spring?
Do you know who your letters of recommendation are coming from?
Are you using your school's premed advisory committee?

Send Supporting Documents to Schools EARLY
Complete Secondaries EARLY

The questions I asked were not necessarily for you to answer...just some things to keep in mind.

thanks for the advice