Summer Classes looked down upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ98

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Im a biology major and have taken some pre-med prereq classes over summer like GenChem 2, Ochem 2, and biochem, over the summers. I've done well in all, but is it looked down upon for "top" med schools or any med schools for that fact if science classes were taken over summer? I read a couple times its not best to do so. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's obviously not going to look as good as a fall or spring class at a 4 year institution (preferably your home institution) but if you take it at your home institution over the summer and are sure you can do well in it, it will likely not draw too much attention for one course. I am unsure of the impact all three would have during summers, however.

Im a biology major and have taken some pre-med prereq classes over summer like GenChem 2, Ochem 2, and biochem, over the summers. I've done well in all, but is it looked down upon for "top" med schools or any med schools for that fact if science classes were taken over summer? I read a couple times its not best to do so. Thanks!

I believe it depends on whether you take them
at a different (easier) school, whether you are on the semester or quarter system, and who will teach the course. At some schools, summer sessions are shorter but taught by TAs not full profs. In other programs, if summer class is taught by prof it might make little difference when you took it and when. I was told that when in doubt take them during the regular term, even though my school is on the quarter system and some profs teach year round. So a class taken during summer is supposedly same as one taken during the fall, winter, or spring.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the schools you're applying to. Some admissions committees (top tiers) will harp on this. "Why did so-and-so take biochemistry during the summer despite being a biochemistry major???????" That will raise eyebrows. There are exceptions. Notably, student athletes tend to take pre-med courses during summer/winter session, and it does little to no harm.

This isn’t really my arena, but I imagine it’s only looked at negatively if you’re trying to avoid stacking rigorous courses together.

I wouldn’t think that orgo in the summer followed by 15 credits of challenging science courses would hurt you.

You may have a harder time if you took orgo in the summer and followed it up with 15 credits of underwater basket weaving.

Taking orgo at a community college during the summer, on the other hand, will definitely hurt you.

I believe it depends on whether you take them
at a different (easier) school, whether you are on the semester or quarter system, and who will teach the course. At some schools, summer sessions are shorter but taught by TAs not full profs. In other programs, if summer class is taught by prof it might make little difference when you took it and when. I was told that when in doubt take them during the regular term, even though my school is on the quarter system and some profs teach year round. So a class taken during summer is supposedly same as one taken during the fall, winter, or spring.

Ive taken all my summer classes at my home 4 year university!

I don't think so at all! I love summer school! You are able to completely immerse yourself in that subject.