Summer Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fanatic101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a sophomore and new to podiatry and wanted to know podiatry schools view on taking summer classes. I know med schools look down on it, but I don't know about podiatry school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I have heard all sorts of answers for this question. I think it comes down to if you take the summer class at your current university OR a university with the same level of education, it is okay. But, I think if you take it at a CC then it "could" look bad. I use quotes because if there is a good reason (distance, financially, etc) to take it at the CC then you have to do it. I am taking my OChem class over the summer at my school and my reasoning is because of my athletic schedule in the fall.

It would be at my uni, but I was just curious because two of the classes that I need are in the same time slot and only offered in the fall and summer and a lot of the pre-meds petition and get to go to class for one and watch the lectures online for the other and take tests for both. I just think taking one in the summer would make everything easier and just wanted to know how its viewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took about 40 credits at my university just by doing summer sessions. I believe it makes your application stronger because it shows that you are continually active.

I do not think it is a problem. I took CC courses during the summer since I went to a private college and it was not only too expensive, but it was so small that there were very few classes in my major offered.

Call the schools to confirm, but it was not brought up in any of my interviews.

Hey, I'm a sophomore and new to podiatry and wanted to know podiatry schools view on taking summer classes. I know med schools look down on it, but I don't know about podiatry school.

What's wrong with summer classes? If you're taking summer classes because you failed a class, there's still nothing wrong with that. I failed a few classes in college myself and just retook it. It's more about the complete package (i.e. overall gpa, mcat, work experience, volunteer, etc)

Yeah... no medical or podiatry school is going to look down on you taking summer classes. As attack mentions, only if you are retaking a class during the summer does something sketchy happen. Basically, if you get lower than a "C" in a class, retake it, but you HAVE to get an "A" (probably not AS true with pod schools, but 100% true w/ medical schools). If you get a "C" or "C+" don't retake the class, but take a class like that class that is harder and do better. For instance, if you got a "C+" in Orgo, take Advanced Orgo and get an "A" and then no one will care about your "C+."

What's wrong with summer classes? If you're taking summer classes because you failed a class, there's still nothing wrong with that. I failed a few classes in college myself and just retook it. It's more about the complete package (i.e. overall gpa, mcat, work experience, volunteer, etc)

My adviser told me that med schools look down on classes taken over the summer especially if they are science or math so I just wanted to know how it was with pod schools.

I would only take a few at most. And make sure they are easy classes. I'm not sure how your summer schedules look, but here, we have 2 terms, each 5 weeks long. If you "took" orgo over the summer, even IF you got an A, I'm pretty sure you would remember very little from the class.

I wasn't on the typical pre-medical track because I was in between majors (Kinesiology and Psychology) through my first 2.5 years. However, I took both Chem 1 and Organic Chem 1 in the summers of my freshmen year and junior year. Chem 1 was at my undergrad and Organic Chem 1 was at a community college. It didn't affect me at all. I also applied and was accepted before completing Organic Chem 2, which I finished my last semester at my undergrad. I just needed to get a C or better. When I applied I was approximately 3.35 overall GPA, 3.0 science GPA.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of where you stand