Summer Dat Hard?!??!??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillmaticbeat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it seems like a lot of people are doing crappy on the dat this summer. what do you guys think? I'm taking mine in a month and i'm worried

Members don't see this ad.

it seems like a lot of people are doing crappy on the dat this summer. what do you guys think? I'm taking mine in a month and i'm worried

I thought everyone is doing well?
Just these few days, I have not seen anyone with scores below 20.

The test is designed to be standardized. Whether is gets harder for people who take it in the summer vs. the spring would go against the point of standardization. If you know your stuff, you know your stuff.....taking it in the spring vs. the summer shouldn't make it any more difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought everyone is doing well?
Just these few days, I have not seen anyone with scores below 20.

I second this statement. Everyone on the DAT board has been talking about how scores seem higher this summer.

The test is designed to be standardized. Whether is gets harder for people who take it in the summer vs. the spring would go against the point of standardization. If you know your stuff, you know your stuff.....taking it in the spring vs. the summer shouldn't make it any more difficult.

Consider this...
In the summer students are free of other obligations (particularly full courseload) and consequently have more time to study for the DAT. If you took the DAT during the school year, people would generally be less prepared becuase they wouldn't have studied as much. Thus, if you know the same amount of material in both a November writing session and a June writing session, you would be in a higher percentile in the November writing session because everyone else is comparatively worse.

It makes sense however.. this would really only work for someone if the person could take a year off school or something so they dont have the obligations everyone else is faced with.

Consider this...
In the summer students are free of other obligations (particularly full courseload) and consequently have more time to study for the DAT. If you took the DAT during the school year, people would generally be less prepared becuase they wouldn't have studied as much. Thus, if you know the same amount of material in both a November writing session and a June writing session, you would be in a higher percentile in the November writing session because everyone else is comparatively worse.

It makes sense however.. this would really only work for someone if the person could take a year off school or something so they dont have the obligations everyone else is faced with.

True, but I think what the OP was referencing was the test actually being made harder by the testmakers for the summer sessions, which I don't think is true. Like you said though, people may have more time to study in the summer thus do well. I don't think the percentiles play as a big a role as the actual raw score.