Summer EC decision: More Research or a combo of research+clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russti

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I wanted to get some advice on what I should focus on this summer in terms of EC’s to build the best application so that I can maximize my chance to get into medical school in 2025 without a gap year if possible.

Background:
I am a rising junior pre-med student, and I am offered the opportunity to Either (1) work as a 9-week full-time summer research intern for a pain research lab/program (not allowed to take on other jobs) OR (2) continue to work as a part-time research intern for a spinal cord research lab I have been working in since freshman year + start work part-time as a scribe. I have to make a decision soon, so advice would be appreciated.

My current stats/background is as follows:

Undergrad: State School
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.4
NO MCAT, plan to take in Jan 2024
Pre-reqs left: Physics 2 + lab, biochem
EC:
Clinical:
Physician Shadow - 100 hours
Hospital Volunteering - 100 hours
Research: 400 hours, 1 poster at AMSA poster session
Leadership: Leader of 2 medically related school organizations, Intramural sports team captain
Non-clinical Volunteering: zero

I have two options:
(1) Take the full-time summer research intern position for a pain research program which will generate a poster for presentation at the symposium, being able to network with others in the same program and greater university faculty and researcher community. This will add 360 research hours and an opportunity to network.

In 2024-2025 application cycle, I should have
Research: 1000+ hours and 3 posters.
Clinical: 150 hospital volunteering, 150 physician job shadowing.
Non-clinical: zero

(2) Continue to work as a part-time undergraduate researcher in my current lab which will also lead to a poster for presentation at the same symposium. But I can use the rest of the time to scribe at the local hospital and gain clinical hours and also complete my physics 2 pre-req. series.

In 2024-2025 application cycle, this will lead to
Research: 600+ hours and 2 posters.
Clinical: 150 hospital volunteering, 150 physician job shadowing. 150 hours of scribing at a hospital
Non-clinical: zero
I will be in a better position to take MCAT due to finishing the physics pre-requisite.

Which one should I pick to maximize my chance of getting into medical school in 2025 without a gap year? Or will I need a gap year anyway?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get into a medical school with zero non-clinical, especially with your stats. That's not something you can shrug off.

I'd keep your current position and pick up scribing because you're also pretty short on clinical experience. 150 hours is the minimum and shadowing isn't included, it's a separate category.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice. Will hospital volunteering be considered as both clinical and non-clinical community service? Will leadership and serving the school community be considered non-clinical community service? Just wonder what kind of community service will be the best to get involved in since the school workload is pretty heavy. Thank you!

Hospital volunteering wouldn't count. On-campus stuff could count but kinda depends what it is.

Standard options include food banks, clothing closets, soup kitchens, etc. Something serving people down on their luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your advice! I will seek out non-clinical community service in the summer then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user