Summer Housing at MGH/Harvard Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyrule

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't go to school there but I'll be at MGH. I know the med school has dorms but they don't open up early enough. Any suggestions for housing. Completely new to Boston. I'm from the West coast.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't go to school there but I'll be at MGH. I know the med school has dorms but they don't open up early enough. Any suggestions for housing. Completely new to Boston.

MGH is downtown and very T accessible from Red/Green/Orange/Blue lines. So if you don't mind a 20-30 minute commute you have many options. I would NOT recommend a car (that will just be an expensive headache) or living outside the Boston/Cambridge/Brookline/Somerville area. Boston is a walking city and you'll be there during the summer - so enjoy that aspect to it. Red line or Green line oriented areas are probably your best bet.

It depends on how much you want to pay - avoid Roxbury, Dorchester, anything with an E (East Cambridge, East Boston, Everett). Generally, the nicer places are located near T stops. I would say stay in Boston proper (Fenway, Back Bay, South End, North End if you're Italian) but avoid downtown (financial district is dead at night, beacon hill is not for those with less than 7 figure incomes).

With that in mind check craigslist for sublets, watch out for Markoff.

envirodoc has good advice, but I would also add that you can look into living in Allston and Cambridge specifically. Allston is incredibly cheap when compared to the rest of the city and is an easy commute over to MGH via the subway. Cambridge can be a bit more expensive but there are some affordable diamonds especially if you are willing to live a few stops further out towards Somerville. Both areas have good culture and are relatively safe. I lived in Allston after college and while still taking classes/studying for the MCAT and realy enjoyed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
most places I'm finding are 30 mins away commute... for under $1k/month... am I not going to find anything closer for under 1k? Many of these are also close to a bus stop but farther away 15min walk from the subway. So I'm more concerned about safety.. walking home at night.

I've been spending my summers up there for the last few years. Last summer, I lived near Northeastern. I was commuting to Cambridge so that kinda sucked (faster to run there than to take the T) but MGH would be a quick trip. Places in Cambridge are a bit cheaper and wouldn't be a bad commute either. I found a place near Harvards Law school for $800/month. I could give you a guy to a call that has a few places available that are reasonable and in a safe location

most places I'm finding are 30 mins away commute... for under $1k/month... am I not going to find anything closer for under 1k? Many of these are also close to a bus stop but farther away 15min walk from the subway. So I'm more concerned about safety.. walking home at night.

are you looking for a one bedroom? Then yeah, you probably won't find much close and cheap. If you look on craig's list you'll find plenty of options for people looking for subleters (probably a lot in allston and around schools). Every apartment I've ever lived in I found on CL and I've lived here 13 years.

You'll be fine walking home at night almost everywhere. Follow the advice given above. Don't live in a building with a bus stop right in front of it. Buses are louder than you think.

Check craigslist for sublets. Plenty of students in Boston who had to sign full year leases who leave for the summer.

MGH is on the Red Line. Look for something near Harvard Square or Central Square - usually cheaper than Boston proper and still nice. You could look as far north as Porter Square or Davis Square stops in Sommerville too. As a rule, the farther out, the cheaper. You may get lucky with a cheapish sublet in Beacon Hill / Back Bay (both normally expensive neighborhoods) so don't rule that out though.

Avoid anything south of Melnea Cass Blvd or in East Boston.

For a studio/1 bedroom, don't expect to find too much under $1,200/MO.

You're better off looking for something like this than a furnished 1 BR: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sub/2379317141.html