Summer Internship Essay Tips?

Started by MeSoPro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MeSoPro

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have applied to quite a few summer internships in the past (high school + freshman college) but have not been successful so far. I don't think my grades were a factor as they were pretty good. I think it might due to my application essays. Can any successful applicants give some advice regarding this?
 
Just show genuine passion. I was able to secure a research position this summer by simply emailing my professor about how interested I was in the research he was doing. Here's the catch: I actually WAS really intrigued by the research. There were many other professors that I emailed, all of whom essentially denied me because I sent them a generic application email that I'm sure did not stand out in any way. My advice is to not be generic, write professionally, and be able to convey passion through words.