Summer internship recruiting lessons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ortho-mdmba

Hoping people who have gone through the process (or a similar process as MD/MBAs) can pitch in some wisdom...

If you are in a dual degree program, you will have the opportunity to do a summer internship.

Here are some of my observations through my process.. especially to candidates, like me, with no real business experience.

-Consulting companies, less so others, will ask for specific GPA, and testing scores (MCAT, GMAT, LSAT, etc).

-Most MD/MBAs will get interviews very easily. From the recruiters side, this is mostly interest but part curiousity (yes, MD/MBA is still an anomaly out there).

-If you are going through a b-school recruiting process, be prepared ... you will be treated as a b-school student NOT a medstudent. This advice might seem weird but I had to learn it. You will be asked the same questions as your classmates who have had 3+ years of business experience. In banking, consulting and marketing, these questions are very detailed and often requiring advance knowledge of business and market concepts often BEYOND what is taught in the first year of b-school. Granted I don't know how the answers are evaluated (there might be some slack here) but this can be unsettling during the interview (most MD/MBAs at my school got offers anyway). To illustrate, I had friends who went straight from medschool/law school to consulting and banking and during their interviews, they had simple profit/loss cases. However, we had cases in which you had to evaluate a project a company was thinking about doing in a developing country.

- Finally, know what your b-school is stereotyped for. Another thing I had to learn. Most MD/MBAs will just go to the affiliate b-school but b-school students take this stereotyping very seriously. For example, if you go to Penn or Chicago, you WILL get tons of finance cases and questions (regardless of your major) which you are expected to know very well. You might have only taken one intro finance course and maybe, an elective at this point. Alot of your classmates probably have finance heavy backgrounds and experience. Recruiters might not admit this but they look for different types at different schools (this is not universal). This might not translate to what you will end up doing at the company.

That's it. Hopefully others will add more.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, it is helpful. Anyone else got more advice on this topic?

Members don't see this ad :)
ortho-mdmba said:
Hoping people who have gone through the process (or a similar process as MD/MBAs) can pitch in some wisdom...

If you are in a dual degree program, you will have the opportunity to do a summer internship.

Here are some of my observations through my process.. especially to candidates, like me, with no real business experience.

-Consulting companies, less so others, will ask for specific GPA, and testing scores (MCAT, GMAT, LSAT, etc).

-Most MD/MBAs will get interviews very easily. From the recruiters side, this is mostly interest but part curiousity (yes, MD/MBA is still an anomaly out there).

-If you are going through a b-school recruiting process, be prepared ... you will be treated as a b-school student NOT a medstudent. This advice might seem weird but I had to learn it. You will be asked the same questions as your classmates who have had 3+ years of business experience. In banking, consulting and marketing, these questions are very detailed and often requiring advance knowledge of business and market concepts often BEYOND what is taught in the first year of b-school. Granted I don't know how the answers are evaluated (there might be some slack here) but this can be unsettling during the interview (most MD/MBAs at my school got offers anyway). To illustrate, I had friends who went straight from medschool/law school to consulting and banking and during their interviews, they had simple profit/loss cases. However, we had cases in which you had to evaluate a project a company was thinking about doing in a developing country.

- Finally, know what your b-school is stereotyped for. Another thing I had to learn. Most MD/MBAs will just go to the affiliate b-school but b-school students take this stereotyping very seriously. For example, if you go to Penn or Chicago, you WILL get tons of finance cases and questions (regardless of your major) which you are expected to know very well. You might have only taken one intro finance course and maybe, an elective at this point. Alot of your classmates probably have finance heavy backgrounds and experience. Recruiters might not admit this but they look for different types at different schools (this is not universal). This might not translate to what you will end up doing at the company.

That's it. Hopefully others will add more.

Hi, you mentioned you learned the hard way that recruiters see you as a B-school, not med-school student. Did you get your mba already? If so, where did you go? Penn?

Depending on for what you are interviewing, there may be separate MBA and "other" degree interviews. At Penn, the consulting companies typically have two tracks and MD/MBAs (or PhD/MBAs) are often (but I suppose not always - depends on the student to some extent and how they work the system) interviewed in the non-biz, professional degree group as opposed to the MBA cohort.

P