Dec 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
Okay so these summer internships, the generic ones that offer the 4000 stipend, last two months, and are at some university.
How hard is it to get into as a freshman if they dont say that you must be a junior.

I know the answer is going to be "hard" but are we talking getting into college hard, have decent grades/ec and your in, or only a very few people get in.

Here's an example.

I know that I am asking people to generalize, extrapolate, and make guesses instead of saying "it depends" but I have faith that you guys can do it.

http://c2b2web.org/

Really, I am just asking for a ballpark estimate.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Personal experience: I was accepted into a program at UT Southwestern after my freshman year (despite the fact that they were looking for sophomores and over only) with very little research experience to speak of. Some programs are more prestigious than others, so that will obviously factor into the difficulty. It's certainly possible though.

Also, keep in mind the goal of most of these programs is to provide you with research experience if you're lacking it. If you spend time on the application and aren't a slacker, you'll have a shot.

Naijaba

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I know that the NIH Summer Internship is available to high schoolers, college students, post-baccalaureates, and graduate students:

http://www.training.nih.gov/student/sip/

In recent years it has become very competitive; I think a 16% acceptance rate overall.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.