Summer job dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arsenal771

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I've been lurking around for a year or so now, but decided to register today bc i needed some advice. So for the summer I got a tech/intern job at riteaid. At time of hire pharmacist said it would be full time (30+ hours she said), and I said i was available anytime any day. Well a month and half into it, I realized that I do not want to work this much bc it is not helping (learning wise) me as much as i thought it would.
So my question is, how should I approach the pharmacist to tell him that I want to work part time? Thanks for your input.
 
Not a good idea. You already said you are available to work full time during the summer and you have already worked half of the summer. Suck it up and keep your promise.
 
How is it not helping learning wise? If your pharmacist isn't letting you do counseling or any other pharmacist intern duties other than filling I would talk to them about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you had some volunteer activities you wanted to do, then you could tell the pharmacist that it would take up some time, making you available for fewer hours per week.

I would recommend asking more questions and seeing what else you can do at work. There's always something you can learn. Some of it might have to be on your own out of personal interest and desire to do some research into what you see everyday (drugs, disease states, etc).

I know that sounds nerdy, but that way, you could learn more than what you are getting from just working.
 
Well ever since i started working I worked whenever they wanted me to which led me to be doing 50 hours this past week, and before that it was 40 hours a week. I honestly do not care about the money at this point. I am doing it more for a learning experience in retail. I worked at an independent and felt like i learned more there. All i do here is call doctors for refill requests, some counting and some reconstituting. If i cut down hours i will relax a bit and go over some pcol and medchem. also spend some time with my fam 😀

ohhh btw, i use to pick up otc meds and just read the drug facts and active ingredients and what not at the independent, but here there is no time for that. i am always busy doing something.