Summer MCAT Prep Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techmed07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am at the end stages of applying to this program Aetna Health Professions Partnership Initiative Medical/Dental Preparatory Program it is based in conneticut. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this program and the MCAT prep included in track I. I recently brought the EK series (including audio osmosis and 1001 books). I may be better off studying independently but it depends how good the program is. PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my application there for this summer, I hope I get in. Did you get in or....?

I just submitted my application there for this summer, I hope I get in. Did you get in or....?

I submitted my application there as well for this summer. I hope I get in too, what have you heard about the program? I think the track I will be extremely competitive since they only allow 10 premedical and 10 predental students in.

10 pre-med and 10 pre-dent? Sounds like you know more than me. UCONN is not a well publicized school, so hopefully we have a good chance! I guess it comes down to how competitive we look on paper. They say they want at least a B average, so that definitely gives me hope. It sounds like a sweet deal, MCAT prep + room and board! Any idea about the stipend or how many other people have applied?

I'm taking a team taught/school led MCAT prep using the Kaplan book.

10 pre-med and 10 pre-dent? Sounds like you know more than me. UCONN is not a well publicized school, so hopefully we have a good chance! I guess it comes down to how competitive we look on paper. They say they want at least a B average, so that definitely gives me hope. It sounds like a sweet deal, MCAT prep + room and board! Any idea about the stipend or how many other people have applied?

I'm taking a team taught/school led MCAT prep using the Kaplan book.

I have no idea how many people applied. Yeah at least a B average is a pretty low requirement for such a sweet deal. That is awesome that you are taking a prep course at school. I am currently taking a bunch of classes and and peaking at verbal every now and again. However, I get out a month before the program starts and that is when Ill start my study schedule and if I do not get in.. I will just continue that schedule. Best of luck to you man. I know we can make it.:xf:

As a back-up have you looked into other programs for the summer? I've applied to several others, some with MCAT prep and others just research to help boost my CV and application. Some programs are still accepting applications and if you have the time it maybe worthwhile to investigate. In anycase, best of luck to you as well Techmed07. :xf:

As a back-up have you looked into other programs for the summer? I've applied to several others, some with MCAT prep and others just research to help boost my CV and application. Some programs are still accepting applications and if you have the time it maybe worthwhile to investigate. In anycase, best of luck to you as well Techmed07. :xf:

No, I havent look at any otheR programs this summer. Just because I have been doing summer programs since my freshmen year (If accepted, this would be my 3rd summer program). So, if I do not get accepeted this will probably be a blessing in disguise seeing that I need to stay and do some reasearch here at my university and study for the MCAT. Well, actually mostly study for the MCAT. Do you know when we will most likely hear back from the program?

You're guess is as good as mine, but from all the other applications I filled out the average response is due at the end of March-mid April. I wish I had the opportunity to do clinical research at my school, but que sera. Have you performed research at other universities or just your own? Near perfects on the verbal reasoning is a good start, I'm still flailing around. :laugh:

You're guess is as good as mine, but from all the other applications I filled out the average response is due at the end of March-mid April. I wish I had the opportunity to do clinical research at my school, but que sera. Have you performed research at other universities or just your own? Near perfects on the verbal reasoning is a good start, I'm still flailing around. :laugh:

Near perfect on verbal??, I wish. lol, yeah I did research at brown through the leadership alliance program, it was good experience. Providence is a really unique city. Doing a research program during the summer is always a great thing IMO. I bet if you get accepted to the program your diagonostic is going to be head and shoulders above everyone there. I am so jealous I wish I could start my prep now...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a peep. Do you think it will be by mail or e-mail?

Yeah I had a little bit of a correspondance with one of the nice ladies that head the application process. She is still logging applications (I wonder how many people applied this time around). So it will be sometime untill we hear back....thus the waiting game begins.:scared:

I'm sure it will take long enough, the application was in hard copy after all. Probably won't hear back until early April or so....:laugh:

If anyone lives in Miami or is a florida resident and will be in MIA this summer. I took the UM minority program. you are registered for a free princeton review, and every fri we shadowed residents. It helped with my EC section, and I got to see cool things.

If anyone lives in Miami or is a florida resident and will be in MIA this summer. I took the UM minority program. you are registered for a free princeton review, and every fri we shadowed residents. It helped with my EC section, and I got to see cool things.

How does this pertain?

Nope, Its been a month and some odd days. I guess we will hear back in April?

Got an email saying my application is complete...nada about acceptance...April sounds about right.:sleep:

It pertained to the original title MCAT summer prep I just thought it would be useful info for anyone who was interested in a summer prep and lived in MIA. I hope you get in your MCAT prep course, and do well when on the MCAT

How does this pertain?

Got an email saying my application is complete...nada about acceptance...April sounds about right.:sleep:

Haha, That is more than what've heard. Anthing else? I am getting nervous. I hope I get it.:xf:

Haha, That is more than what've heard. Anthing else? I am getting nervous. I hope I get it.:xf:

This waiting is getting ridiculous! I'm starting to hear from other places though, so far it's been a total crap chute...not getting my hopes up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anybody apply to the Track 2 program?

Well i talked to Jan Figuerora (excuse the spelling) wednesday and she said to look out for something by this evening.....

Anyone heard anything?????????????????? :/

:( Looks like we all got rejected. I have not heard anything back.

:thumbup: Better now than during the medical school application process:thumbup:

no news is good news guys. you arent rejected until they tell you! good luck im sure at least someone here will get in.

no news is good news guys. you arent rejected until they tell you! good luck im sure at least someone here will get in.

Haha,

no news = silent rejection = bad news

good news= acceptance

bad news = rejection

This is how my logic works...

Haha,

no news = silent rejection = bad news

good news= acceptance

bad news = rejection

This is how my logic works...

Yeah, this feels about right...here's my interpretation...

If P, then Q.
P.
Therefore Q.

If a candidate is not desirable, then they are not contacted.
No contact.
Therefore I'm not desirable.

Time to ***** myself to the night!

Good news guys!

Jan Figueroa (sp?) told me that they are reviewing applications right now. We should hear a decision in the next couple of weeks. :xf:

In the next couple of weeks!!!????????? greeeat :cool:

SOB! I don't mind getting rejected from a top notch place like UCSF or Columbia, but UCONN? Come on!

SOB! I don't mind getting rejected from a top notch place like UCSF or Columbia, but UCONN? Come on!

I just called Jan she was busy, so nothing was really said. I will try calling sometime in the afternoon during my ochem lab. Yeah, things get more competitive the further you go along and this program is a gem. Perhaps we bolstered the application pool by bringing attention to it via SDN. All we can do is wait.....:(

Oh I thought is was a good school. Please do not be tired "Never stop fighting until the fight is done"When you least expect it BAM you are in your seat.;);)

Last edited:
The application deadline was Feb 5th (not rolling admissions) and it is April 7th.. a little more than two months have pass since the deadline, meaning we shoud hear something in the coming days. Maybe Friday? It can be safe to assume if we do not hear something about the program by May then we where not chosen to participate in the program. Funding is sparse and competition firece and that is understandable. I just hope they give those rejected, a rejection letter.

Rejection is not something to be feared, but I at least deserve to know where I stand or when I will know a decision.

Don't get me wrong, UCONN is a good school…academically. However, in comparison to the other places that I have applied and got accepted/rejected, it is not tier 1 material. UCSF, Dartmouth, and several others have given the same silent snub and I find it deplorable. However, it less of a sting knowing how much more prominent they are. One can shrug it off and claim elite snobbery is in play (which may be in play because UCONN is the heartland of the yuppies and I may not be white enough lol).

Think about this for a minute...

Their program is one of the rare ones where they would wine and dine you and basically groom you for acceptance. This is in essence a recruitment tool. So noting that best impressions are key, does it not follow that they should be diligent to our responses or at least forthright with their decisions? Yes it does, unless we are unworthy of their attention and by proxy are not "UCONN" material. And here we are, two months after submission deadline and none of us are officially accepted or rejected. That gentlemen, is not what anyone of us would do. During my undergraduate admissions I always wrote a kind letter indicating rejection or acceptance, it indicates one's character.

It could be very well be decisions haven't been made at all, which is fine, and if that is the case I will reserve part of my judgment. Yet, considering the average response for summer research programs culminates at the beginning of April, at the latest, it would seem deleteriously to be late.

In summation...they can go screw themselves, I have been treated better elsewhere.

I called last week and she said they hadnt even started and will be starting this week to review apps (and make decisions,, i hope?).. I also asked if they will be giving rejection letters and she said yes, both that and a rejection email. So Dadoc-- they might not have made decisions yet:/ who knowssss

I called last week and she said they hadnt even started and will be starting this week to review apps (and make decisions,, i hope?).. I also asked if they will be giving rejection letters and she said yes, both that and a rejection email. So Dadoc-- they might not have made decisions yet:/ who knowssss

I recall my comment about silent rejections then, but the remainder of my statement is cogent.

If someone else hasn't already made plans, I wish them the best of luck and hopefully to keep us updated! I would particularly like to know what the faculty interactions are like.

Dadoc, I echo your frustration. I really think we all got rejected because it has been more than two months. Perhaps we are waitlisted and they are stringing us along until everybody they accepted initially confirms that they are going. I do agree that if somebody had another program of interest that had a deadline concerning when to commit this UConn ordeal would be quite irritating. I called Jan this morning...at the moment she was not allowed to talk on the phone. She said she would call me back, I am not holding my breath (she is just too busy of a lady to expect such things). I asked her when we should hear back and she said .."um yeah". I hope the poor woman does not think I am going to hate her if I am rejected. I rather know then not know, and I understand some things are just out of her power. In conclusion, I will be spending my first summer at home since the start of undergrad and it is maybe for the best...And DaDoc my friend I am sure whatever endeavor you choose to embark on this summer will be as fruitful or even more fruitful than a trip to UConn. Good luck to you :luck: