Summer of M1 approaching - what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been so focused on school work so far I really haven't put much though into how I'll be spending my time during the summer of M1. It sort of hit me today, and I'm beginning to get worried.

For the longest time there was no question in my mind I'd do research. Honestly, I just didn't have the energy to find a mentor and I have publications from before medical school. I've been there. I've done it. I just don't feel that 6 weeks of research will be enriching for me. My school does have good research opportunities and I feel somewhat bad it will be wasted.

I'm honestly a bit worried if I don't do something productive it will hit me hard for residency, as I haven't been very big on extracurricular activities so far, though I am trying not to overextend myself. What is everyone else doing? Should I look for volunteerism opportunities? Shadow? Relax and recharge? Review MS1 coursework?

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I did was memorize sketchy micro and it has been so helpful. If I could go back, I’d probably memorize zanki biochem with boards and beyond to help fill in the gaps. I wouldn’t do something crazy like buy uworld and try cranking through it lol. I have a month off after boards and I ain’t doin jack. Make sure to set aside time for nothing as you’ll be very nothing deficient this time next year.

Reactions: 4 users
The only thing I did was memorize sketchy micro and it has been so helpful. If I could go back, I’d probably memorize zanki biochem with boards and beyond to help fill in the gaps. I wouldn’t do something crazy like buy uworld and try cranking through it lol. I have a month off after boards and I ain’t doin jack. Make sure to set aside time for nothing as you’ll be very nothing deficient this time next year.
this^. Ive been told by every M2 and beyond:
1. sketchy micro (extremely helpful but not imperative)
2. vacation
3. nothing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been so focused on school work so far I really haven't put much though into how I'll be spending my time during the summer of M1. It sort of hit me today, and I'm beginning to get worried.

For the longest time there was no question in my mind I'd do research. Honestly, I just didn't have the energy to find a mentor and I have publications from before medical school. I've been there. I've done it. I just don't feel that 6 weeks of research will be enriching for me. My school does have good research opportunities and I feel somewhat bad it will be wasted.

I'm honestly a bit worried if I don't do something productive it will hit me hard for residency, as I haven't been very big on extracurricular activities so far, though I am trying not to overextend myself. What is everyone else doing? Should I look for volunteerism opportunities? Shadow? Relax and recharge? Review MS1 coursework?
I think it might depend on what you want to specialize in. Some specialties have applicants that average 6 publications like ortho and ENT. If you're not trying to go into a competitive specialty, research isn't as important, but still helps get you a better choice. I say do research and memorize sketchy micro. Doing nothing gets boring after a week.

Reactions: 1 users
I did absolutely nothing and am doing better than the kids who studied over summer and ended up burnt out by February.

Reactions: 3 users
You need the summer to recharge. Spend that loan money and travel...consider it therapy. I wouldn’t waste time with research unless it’s something you’re already doing and will get a big publication out of it.

I did absolutely nothing and am doing better than the kids who studied over summer and ended up burnt out by February.

This. I know quite a few people that hit qbanks, sketchy, pathoma all day and most of them almost failed Step.

Reactions: 2 users
Literally one of the best things (that is academic) is casually watching sketchy. Studying hardcore will burn you faster than anything.

Use your last summer vacation for vacation cuz second year is a damn grind

Depends on what you want to go into or what you're considering. For derm, ortho, ophtho; you might want to look into getting some research. Charting outcomes gives you a nice idea of the average amt of research experience for those fields.

That's not to say you can't still get into those specialties if you don't do the research during m1 summer.

I personally went home, did a lot of hanging out with friends, lounging by the pool, sleeping in. It was pretty amazing. I think I watched like 10 sketchy micro videos all summer long, definitely wasn't the priority of my summer. I am so glad that I had fun that summer because the m2-m3 summer, studying for boards, was awful and I had no time at all like I did m1 summer.

I agree with the burnout statement above. The entire process of becoming and being a physician is stressful but also rewarding. I always make it a priority to be happy in my personal life so that I can excel in school and on rotations. Don't ever forget the importance of that balance.

Reactions: 1 users
Ya here's your summer assignment:

Crack open a cold one w/ the boiz 4x/week.

The other 3 days if you wanna nerd out w/ some Sketchy Micro or BCHM or something I mean that's fine.. You should probably be cracking' open cold ones on the other 3 days too though honestly.

Don't stress. This is the last legit summer of your life bruh.

& if you are stressed I mean ya you could always casually watch a few sketchy vids or something but try not to stress too much, seriously. Nothing you do now will dramatically impact your board scores in 12+ months.

Reactions: 5 users
Get your first pass of first aid done.

Try to get through atleast Sketchy micro once.

Do half of some bullcrap qbank your school gave you access too... like Kaplan maybe.

Go get 'em tiger!

You have no excuse to wimp out of taking the USMLE like half of my class did and probably what half of your class will end up doing.

Use all the free time you can.

You can get a lot done in a couple months.

Use it wisely.