Summer or Year-Long Physics at Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperaeroplane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am essentially done with all my pre-reqs except for Physics (finishing Orgo up this semester at HES). I started taking Physics last semester at HES but withdrew because I was overwhelmed with the material partly because I was taking two other demanding courses at the same time. I am planning on applying to med school next year. I was wondering, though, if it would be a good idea to take Physics over the summer to get it over with so that I can begin preparation for the MCAT in order to be able to apply earlier to schools?-- Or, if taking Physics during the school year would be a better idea because it allows you to have more time to better understand the material? I would hopefully be able to take the MCAT in April of 2012 and get my score back in time to apply. Has anyone take Physics over the summer at HES? Thoughts on how demanding it is compared to the year-long course?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not taken Physics at Harvard summer school, but I did complete Physics at HES. As you probably know from experience, the course could be better. After hearing the negative reviews of the year-long course, a friend at HES took the summer course that was taught by another instructor. He said it was actually quite good.

An alternative is to take the Physics course at another school (such as UMass). But it may not look so good that you're choosing to take the tougher courses at different schools.