Summer Plans for Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madscientist50

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it would be fun to see what all the other soon to be med students are doing to relax this summer before all the fun starts this fall.

I am doing some golfing and cycling, and playing with my dog a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I am gonna play lots of video games, live on my couch and make up for all the lost time with my younger brother. May be i will consider visiting some of my friends around the country...

Spending as much time with my friends as I can. I know too many people from so many different phases of my life that having a big farewell party isn't going to happen...and small intimate groups are better, anyway.

I would like to go to the Major League Baseball All-Star game (I'm fairly close to San Francisco, and that is my home ballpark. But that's probably going to be too pricey for me.)

And I don't want to see any posts about how some of you are going to spend your summer-before-med school by working with the under-served in a foreign country providing free care and eradicating X disease. You're already accepted, you can stop gunning now. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta keep grinding it out at work. Probably also a lot of tv watching, video game playing, movie watching, and SDN viewing/periodic posting.

Working with my horses!!! :biglove: :banana: :biglove: :banana: Maybe some gardening if I am lucky. And of course.......being a mom and unpacking all of our stuff we haul down from NY to TN.:smuggrin: :laugh:

Will just spend it working, at least it's installing home theaters so I usually get to play with cool toys. I'm just excited that I've got no classes to worry about or projects to work on.

As usual, work at the nursing home for me. I was in shock during the final Mavericks game against Golden State, so no more basketball for me.

Finishing up on renovations for a home that I bought and RELAXATION! lol

working a lot for me. i am going to try and squeeze in a vacation at some point. hopefully i can do something fun.

right now i'm working but my last day is coming up soon. when that comes, i'll probably focus on my martial art and i am going to the philippines to island hop! :)

Working part time, renovating our home in Erie, having many days like the other day where I sat on the couch for hours watching a tv marathon, seeing many of the summer movies and reading the last Harry Potter book.

i'm headed to italy and greece for the first 2 weeks of june..aside from that, just working in the pathology dept. and enjoying life :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be moving out of my apartment and back in with my parents until I hear back from a few waiting lists and make my final decision on which school I'm going to and where I'm going to move. In the meantime, I'll continue working full time at my current job at a cancer center and saving up a lot of money to help pay for school and my move.

I'm hoping I can squeeze out some time to take a vacation before school starts. I only like to travel if I can stay with friends or family who live there (it’s more fun and costs less). So I have the following options. Which would you choose?

1) Thailand
2) France (been twice)
3) Hungary
4) Greece (been twice)
5) Brazil

6) Panama
7) Japan (been once)
8) England (only been to the airport)
9) Israel

Our official first day is July 30, so there isn't much time between now and then, and the time will definetely fly by....

....other than that, working.....
....studying, for a national board exam (in my other medical profession-Chinese medicine--yes, we have to take exams, and get licensed contrary to what some of you might think.....;)

....take a trip to NYC, visit friends and just enjoy being there for a week..
.... Oh and yeah, sorry Stringer, I will be traveling to a foreign country, working with underserved people, and providing free medical care to eradicate X diseases--well maybe not eradicate it, but 'acupunctura' does provide a great form of stress and pain relief for some of the poorest patients in Mexico! Hey, ive been doing it for years, I cant give it up just because Im going to be starting a little thing like medical school. In fact if you DO end up joining us at ATSU, Ill invite you on the next trip in the fall!!:D :thumbup:

I kept thinking 3 months of enjoyment before school starts will be long long long, but it's never long enough :D

First, I quit job around mid June and start travelling. hen I have 2 weeks of volunteering as a camp counselor for McDonal camp for cancer patients ( not contribute anything to med school application but as my own hobbies :) ). Finally, I will have a roadtrip from California to my school and stop by several national parks to enjoy the nature.

I'll be moving out of my apartment and back in with my parents until I hear back from a few waiting lists and make my final decision on which school I'm going to and where I'm going to move. In the meantime, I'll continue working full time at my current job at a cancer center and saving up a lot of money to help pay for school and my move.

I'm hoping I can squeeze out some time to take a vacation before school starts. I only like to travel if I can stay with friends or family who live there (it’s more fun and costs less). So I have the following options. Which would you choose?

1) Thailand
2) France (been twice)
3) Hungary
4) Greece (been twice)
5) Brazil

6) Panama
7) Japan (been once)
9) Israel

I'd go with England, and spend a week in a rental car in Ireland.

I kept thinking 3 months of enjoyment before school starts will be long long long, but it's never long enough :D

First, I quit job around mid June and start travelling. hen I have 2 weeks of volunteering as a camp counselor for McDonal camp for cancer patients ( not contribute anything to med school application but as my own hobbies :) ). Finally, I will have a roadtrip from California to my school and stop by several national parks to enjoy the nature.

Ronald McDonald Camp for Good times in so cal??

I'm going to trek across Europe. I leave in less than 2 weeks, and I'll be gone for a month. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am. I figure this is my last opportunity to do something like this, so I'm going to take advantage of it.

Going to visit various friends across the country before settling down in FL for a few weeks before orientation.

And making money.

Kuba, PM me if you want the DL on Kenya and Tanzania. I lived there for four months in some pretty crazy areas. I also know some Kilimanjaro guides!

My fiance and I are going to quit our jobs on July 2, pack up the car, and drive 4,000 miles from Alaska through Canada, Washington, Oregon, and California on the way to Phoenix, where we will proceed to melt into puddles. We're thinking it'll take 16 days or so :eek: But will be a fun adventure.

Kuba, PM me if you want the DL on Kenya and Tanzania. I lived there for four months in some pretty crazy areas. I also know some Kilimanjaro guides!

My fiance and I are going to quit our jobs on July 2, pack up the car, and drive 4,000 miles from Alaska through Canada, Washington, Oregon, and California on the way to Phoenix, where we will proceed to melt into puddles. We're thinking it'll take 16 days or so :eek: But will be a fun adventure.

WOW, that will be quite an adventure....and not too mention probably a culture shock as well! Arizona huh.......but it's a "dry" heat :D

WOW, that will be quite an adventure....and not too mention probably a culture shock as well! Arizona huh.......but it's a "dry" heat :D

LOL, that's what they all say - with a sympathetic grimace on their faces! I figure if I can handle -30 degrees, I can handle 110...right?

1) Thailand
2) France (been twice)
3) Hungary
4) Greece (been twice)
5) Brazil

6) Panama
7) Japan (been once)
9) Israel

I'd say Brazil! Heck yeah! A little Rio might do you good (or not...)