Summer plans, opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VeraShield

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what you guys thought would be more worthwhile for me to do this summer before applying next year.
Situation: I don't have a lot of volunteer experience or extra-curriculars, and only some pharmacy experience (job shadow & some light volunteering). I have no real leadership positions in the clubs I am in, which I greatly regret since it's too late to fix. My GPA is relatively high, 3.86, unfortunately, at the expense of little extracurriculars. I have most of my pre-reqs done. I haven't taken the PCAT yet, so I still have to prepare for that.

Options:
1. Research fellowship in pharmaceutical sciences department.
Pros: +I get a large stipend. +It's related to healthfield/science. +Possibility to get a strong academic reference (most likely stronger than any other of my current science professors who know me more as a student; and the fact that two years in a row I pick the chemistry teachers that go on sabbatical the following semester, so all my science teachers only knew for one semester 😱 ).
Cons: -Warned that it will take a lot of my time, and I can't have another part-time job, or take any classes. -Not entirely the same as pharmacy. -I might not be able to study as much for the PCAT, and can probably only do one or two things from my volunteer list.

2. Volunteer full-time; Consisting of:
a. In & Out-patient pharmacy (variables hours, 15-20 hours a week)
b. Project for a local pharmacist association (20-30 hours to complete, 3 hours a week to maintain)
c. Project for the United Way (150-200 hours to complete)
d. Project for the local food pantry (30-40 hours to complete)
e. Homeless shelter (3 hours a day)
f. Teach a class at the Boys & Girls club (6 hours a week)
Pros: +Good variety and number to fill out my lacking extracurricular section. +Two are related directly to pharmacy. +Less stress ...you can't mess up at volunteering... I think... 😀 +Time is more flexible, and can take some summer classes, study for exams.
Cons: -I don't get paid. -Not prestigious as research? -No possibilities for academic references.

I am really pulling toward option 2 now that I am writing this post. I bet I can do the research, and just 2a & 2b, but that still leaves a large hole in my application. I am getting conflicting reports on how useful research is for an application. The other thing is that the "Projects" I am thinking about were fully planned and proposed by me, so maybe that can add some more weight. Any opinions? Does research and a stronger academic reference outweigh a lot of community service and stronger non-academic reference (maybe from a Pharmacist)?
 
honestly,
your gpa is very good for pharmacy school.there are some people who got into pharmacy school without any pharmacy experience. in terms of activities, i personally believe that community service outweighs research and a strong academic reference any day. my reason is that pharmacy schools emphasize on community service as part of their vision, so if you have a strong relationship with the community in terms of your activities, then it would be a great attribute to being a good pharmacist. but that is just one view though.
 
I was wondering what you guys thought would be more worthwhile for me to do this summer before applying next year.
Situation: I don't have a lot of volunteer experience or extra-curriculars, and only some pharmacy experience (job shadow & some light volunteering). I have no real leadership positions in the clubs I am in, which I greatly regret since it's too late to fix. My GPA is relatively high, 3.86, unfortunately, at the expense of little extracurriculars. I have most of my pre-reqs done. I haven't taken the PCAT yet, so I still have to prepare for that.

Options:
1. Research fellowship in pharmaceutical sciences department.
Pros: +I get a large stipend. +It's related to healthfield/science. +Possibility to get a strong academic reference (most likely stronger than any other of my current science professors who know me more as a student; and the fact that two years in a row I pick the chemistry teachers that go on sabbatical the following semester, so all my science teachers only knew for one semester 😱 ).
Cons: -Warned that it will take a lot of my time, and I can't have another part-time job, or take any classes. -Not entirely the same as pharmacy. -I might not be able to study as much for the PCAT, and can probably only do one or two things from my volunteer list.

2. Volunteer full-time; Consisting of:
a. In & Out-patient pharmacy (variables hours, 15-20 hours a week)
b. Project for a local pharmacist association (20-30 hours to complete, 3 hours a week to maintain)
c. Project for the United Way (150-200 hours to complete)
d. Project for the local food pantry (30-40 hours to complete)
e. Homeless shelter (3 hours a day)
f. Teach a class at the Boys & Girls club (6 hours a week)
Pros: +Good variety and number to fill out my lacking extracurricular section. +Two are related directly to pharmacy. +Less stress ...you can't mess up at volunteering... I think... 😀 +Time is more flexible, and can take some summer classes, study for exams.
Cons: -I don't get paid. -Not prestigious as research? -No possibilities for academic references.

I am really pulling toward option 2 now that I am writing this post. I bet I can do the research, and just 2a & 2b, but that still leaves a large hole in my application. I am getting conflicting reports on how useful research is for an application. The other thing is that the "Projects" I am thinking about were fully planned and proposed by me, so maybe that can add some more weight. Any opinions? Does research and a stronger academic reference outweigh a lot of community service and stronger non-academic reference (maybe from a Pharmacist)?


I was actually trying to figure something out for this summer as well!...I wasn't sure if i shoudl maybe do a research or some volunteer work. If you don't mind me askin, how did you come about with your option #2? where did you go to get those options available to you?
 
Try to do both? I did both one summer - I managed to schedule with my PI - volunteer everyday in the morning 8-11 then research 12-6. Definitely do the research, you'll stand out from the rest and you might realize your interest or dislike in research?