Summer Program for Future Doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Immortal1222

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I'm participating in ECU's (Brody SOM) Summer Program for Future Doctors. I have yet to find any information on what to expect from the program that is worth while. Has anyone participated in the SPFD and can offer insight into the program? Or how the program helps with admissions?

Its an 8 week program to expose students to the lifestyle of med school, where you study core classes and get the stress of med school but they offer very little info as to what to truly expect. Maybe someone out there has participated in a similar program elsewhere and can offer some insight. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This summer I'm participating in ECU's (Brody SOM) Summer Program for Future Doctors. I have yet to find any information on what to expect from the program that is worth while. Has anyone participated in the SPFD and can offer insight into the program? Or how the program helps with admissions?

Its an 8 week program to expose students to the lifestyle of med school, where you study core classes and get the stress of med school but they offer very little info as to what to truly expect. Maybe someone out there has participated in a similar program elsewhere and can offer some insight. Thanks

do you guys get paid? if not, then hmmm....

Hey, I'm participating in the program this summer also. Let me know if you have found out anymore details on what we should expect.

When I was up there at ECU for interview back in Feb, I was told about this program. They told me it was very similar to the one at UNC-CH I took in 2005. Basically, it is 8 weeks of classes that you will see in medical school. It helps foster your intellenctual development. You engage in 200 hours of class and lab work then tested on the material each week. You received grades/transcript. It's not an easy program, but very doable and once you finish you will be ahead of the game in terms of seeing material. You also get help with your studying strategies.

Will this program help in the admissions? It wont hurt, but like other programs you are not guaranteed to get in even if you do outstanding. I think if your science gpa is not great and you do well in this program, you will show them that you can handle the work in medical school and be offered a seat in the class of _ _ _ _. However as I have been told, there are no guarantees.

I dont know is this helped you all, but good luck with the program. It only can help your application and it prepares you for that particular medical school. I know if we all get into ECU medical school this year....I will be calling you all. ;)