Summer Programs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkthesplanch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What summer programs did everyone apply for this year?

I did American Pediatric Society, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and NIDDK :luck:

March is so far away.

Members don't see this ad.

Headed to MSKCC this summer.

Oh wow, MSKCC has already accepted applicants? I also applied there and havent heard back yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seem to remember Vermont had a program for students that needed to remediate a class or two.

I had some friends apply for the MSK program (though, I'm pretty sure no one has found out yet).

I wanted a more long-term project, so I'm staying on campus and applying for some additional outside research grants for medical students. If all goes well (assuming I get the 2 grants I applied for + the money my school provides me), I'll be looking at 9k salary for the summer. Yay for being able to pay for a little bit more of tuition next year :)

And btw, a lot of outside grants are "stackable". You can use them for living expenses or for supplies/reagents for your project.

The link states that we will find out on March 18th if we are accepted.

Check the FAQs question #11.

^
March 18th is the last day of notification and the last day to accept a spot.

"11. When will I find out if I've been accepted to the program?

Accepted applicants will be notified of a decision between February 28 and March 18, 2011."

Members don't see this ad :)
^
March 18th is the last day of notification and the last day to accept a spot.

"11. When will I find out if I've been accepted to the program?

Accepted applicants will be notified of a decision between February 28 and March 18, 2011."

So people shouldn't have already found out- sounds like the "rolling" process starts Feb. 28.

So people shouldn't have already found out- sounds like the "rolling" process starts Feb. 28.

Possibly, probably, maybe, who knows? Just responding to Pharmacol90, re: March 18th being *the* day.

Believe what you want, the acceptance email says the same thing.

Just out of curiosity, what projects did you apply for and did you get your first choice?
I won't say what it is but I got my first choice.

It's one of the bench research ones.

good, both of mine were not. still have some hope, this would be a dream come true.

Didn't mean to stress anyone out. Just responding to OP.

I'm a no talent assclown.

Has anybody else heard from mskcc? I am just trying to get a feeling on how far in their process they are.

Also got accepted to MSKCC a couple of weeks ago

Well, damn! Good work guys- I'm beginning to think that no news is bad news at this point even though it still seems early.

I guess they did say they had 650 applications for 30 spots or whatever....

Does anyone know when M.D. Anderson will respond by?

Well, damn! Good work guys- I'm beginning to think that no news is bad news at this point even though it still seems early.

I guess they did say they had 650 applications for 30 spots or whatever....

No, it was 650 applications for 60 spots. My guess is that the less competitive spots are awarded sooner, whereas the more competitive spots take longer to sort out, especially since many highly qualified applicants have 2 choices.

For those who have been accepted to memorial sloan, how did they notify you? And did you have prior research experience? Just curious b/c I haven't heard anything yet!

It seems like if you haven't heard yet, you are just waiting for possible sloppy seconds of the already accepted people.

For those who have been accepted to memorial sloan, how did they notify you? And did you have prior research experience? Just curious b/c I haven't heard anything yet!

E-mail notification. Yes, I did have prior research experience but not in what I will be doing this summer. However, my professional interests and other experiences were very in line with the project. Hope that helps.

Well, still nothing from Sloan-Kettering, but on the plus side I got American Pediatric Society....

Yay for summer research!

I applied to 3 Summer Research Projects in Los Angeles. I got 1 rejection and 2 no news. I have a feeling it may not work out for me since I should hear back by next week. I don't know what I should do with my summer now. Should I volunteer abroad or look for research in neighboring cities?

Ideally I want to do research with a good mentor and a chance to get published with note-worthy research by the end of the summer. If I email random people, there is a good chance I will come out with a lot of work, no publication, no letter of rec, and no pay. So whats the point?

How does volunteering abroad look on paper for residency?

I applied to 3 Summer Research Projects in Los Angeles. I got 1 rejection and 2 no news. I have a feeling it may not work out for me since I should hear back by next week. I don't know what I should do with my summer now. Should I volunteer abroad or look for research in neighboring cities?

Ideally I want to do research with a good mentor and a chance to get published with note-worthy research by the end of the summer. If I email random people, there is a good chance I will come out with a lot of work, no publication, no letter of rec, and no pay. So whats the point?

Unless you're doing clinical research, you probably won't get any publications out of a 8-10 week summer. Even in clinical research...that's really pushing it. Doesn't your med school have on campus research opportunities?

Well, still nothing from Sloan-Kettering, but on the plus side I got American Pediatric Society....

Yay for summer research!

I'm in the same boat =)

I'm happy I got into my 1st choice for APS, but kinda bummed by how little the stipend is because I have to pay for rent and transportation.

Haven't heard from MMSK, lost hope a while ago.

Still haven't heard from NIDDK.

i agree with what mdeast said. try on campus research because then you have the opportunity to continue research during the academic year and increase possibility of publishing.

I haven't yet and its a little ridiculous.. first they postpone it 2 weeks and now they can't even notify us at the beginning of the week.. something tells me it'll be Friday afternoon when we find out.

RE the NIDDK

I received an acceptance yesterday - not sure whether they sent out all invites or just some to certain sites. Either way they gave me 48 hours to accept or turn it down. I'm probably turning it down to stay on campus (for the aforementioned reasons and various others), so I expect there might be some more handed out in a few days.

G'luck!

RE the NIDDK

I received an acceptance yesterday - not sure whether they sent out all invites or just some to certain sites. Either way they gave me 48 hours to accept or turn it down. I'm probably turning it down to stay on campus (for the aforementioned reasons and various others), so I expect there might be some more handed out in a few days.

G'luck!

Oh interesting.. yeah maybe its not all the sites idk? Can u PM the site u were accepted to?

Hey- just wondering if anyone knows wether acceptance to the Vanderbilt SRTP program and acceptance to the NIDDK program are mutually exclusive. They seem to be pretty much the same program (funding through NIDDK and ending with the same conferance at Vanderbilt) but they had separate applications and listed different dates for when they would notify me of acceptance/denial... that made them seem like separate entities

Just wondering because I was accepted to one but haven't heard from the other... but if they're the same program maybe I'm not going to?

Has anyone else heard from NIDDK? I'm thinking it may be time to give up hope...it's over a week after they said we'd hear back.