MD Summer research- need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloodorange

Reaction score
I just finished my MS1 year and have begun working in a pretty prestigious neurosurgery lab doing bench research for the summer with a stipend given by my school. However, I have started to dread going there every day. I'm extremely bored of the research and hate the working environment in my lab as it's pretty toxic. I decided to do this research because I had a neuro research background in undergrad, but I've recently decided that I definitely don't want to do anything surgical let alone neurosurgery. I am pretty sure I either want to do IM or EM, and I have an IM project on the side.

This is basically my last summer to do with what I please, so I'm considering bailing on this research and finding something more clinically geared, but I am a little hesitant as I know the research office at my school will be miffed for switching at the last minute. Also, I will definitely be burning a bridge with neurosurgery and my PI. Should I stick it out for the next couple weeks to avoid burning bridges or find something more relevant to my career goals? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Is such a toxic environment really worth it??????

Suggest talking to someone at the research office (preferably someone you trust) and framing the situation as how toxic the lab is, and what advice they have for you (which will hopefully be better than ("tough it out")

Reactions: 1 user