Summer Research Opportunities for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pre-Medguy1995

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I know there are research opportunities in the summer for medical students between the M1 and M2 years at places like the CDC, NIH, HSS, etc. Mainly, my question is what should I be doing in the first year to make myself a competitive applicant for these summer research programs? Second, has anyone done any of these and what they did think/what programs do you recommend?
 
A lot of schools have their own summer research opportunities that are funded, so I would look into these as well at your school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the best way to find these programs? Are they well advertised or is it something I would have to seek out?

Your school's website // upperclassmen that you'll meet at school. They will probably mention something about it at orientation. Every school has their own program and some are better setup / funded than others.