Quantcast

Summer research or clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillasky123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone.. I was recently accepted into a full-time summer research position with a small pharmaceutical company that pays a generous stipend to its interns. I will be doing applied biomedical research that won't lead to publications or anything like that but I'll be working with PhDs. However, I've also been accepted to volunteer full-time at a hospital to do tasks that include patient advocacy, help PIs with clinical research (literature search and patient screening), hospital administrative duties, and possibly some shadowing.

I'm having trouble deciding because I have very little clinical experience and its hard to obtain those experiences during the academic school year (b/c of my school's location). I only have 150 hours of shadowing experience (done over every school break for the past few years) and 50 hours of ER hospital volunteering (short stint over one summer). On the other hand, I have years of biomedical and industry research experience and I really need the stipend this summer to pay my bills.

My question is: which position do you think is better for me given my current circumstances? I feel like if I take the research position, it will hurt my application (applying in 2014) because I won't have enough clinical volunteering before I apply... but its so hard to turn down the internship...

Planes2Doc

I enjoy the nightlife
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I was recently accepted into a full-time summer research position with a small pharmaceutical company that pays a generous stipend to its interns. I will be doing applied biomedical research that won't lead to publications or anything like that but I'll be working with PhDs. However, I've also been accepted to volunteer full-time at a hospital to do tasks that include patient advocacy, help PIs with clinical research (literature search and patient screening), hospital administrative duties, and possibly some shadowing.

I'm having trouble deciding because I have very little clinical experience and its hard to obtain those experiences during the academic school year (b/c of my school's location). I only have 150 hours of shadowing experience (done over every school break for the past few years) and 50 hours of ER hospital volunteering (short stint over one summer). On the other hand, I have years of biomedical and industry research experience and I really need the stipend this summer to pay my bills.

My question is: which position do you think is better for me given my current circumstances? I feel like if I take the research position, it will hurt my application (applying in 2014) because I won't have enough clinical volunteering before I apply... but its so hard to turn down the internship...

You should probably do the research, it will probably look better. I realize SDN might make you think that you need a million hours of volunteering, but I believe the average among typical premeds in this country is 100-150 hours. So my suggestion is to research, and then fit in volunteering so that you can hit the 150 hour mark, and make sure that is considered a "current" activity when you submit your AMCAS and when you interview, since it probably makes you look genuine. :) Good luck!!! :luck:

goldrunner

Reaction score
Do the research!!! It's worth it if you're getting paid. Plus it sounds like a very impressive summer experience. Applicants come from all different backgrounds and you already have a lot of clinical experience compared to a lot of other pre-meds that I know. :)

gbc2013

Reaction score
You should definitely do the research! I got the feeling from my interviews (specifically, the student interviews) that good research can be particularly impressive if that is a focus of the medical school, and as was already stated, your hours for clinical exposure are solid. Instead of building up more, why not check off the "summer research" box on the adcom checklist, lol

DrMaximus

CA-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with the consensus here. Do the research.

If I would have had the opportunity to get a nice stipend and have a good research experience, I would've have taken it hands down. You can get more shadowing hours later if you really feel that you need to, but you seem like you're doing well with that. :thumbup:

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Only" 150 hours of shadowing and 50 hours of volunteering.
3e8SX.gif

vanillasky123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! I was just worried because I've done summer research every summer since high school but I don't have any long term clinical experiences. My shadowing hours were accumulated 2-3 days here and there and I'm not sure if adcoms like that. I also don't have any volunteering experience besides the 50 hrs in the hospital because I'm always doing research.