Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninjaki

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of applying for a stipend to conduct research in my current (basic science) lab over the summer. However, I just found out about a clinical research position with potential publication opportunity doing retrospective studies. Is this likely to occur over one summer in a clinical lab? Would you guys recommend sticking with my current lab or also applying for the clinical research position?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen, most summer clinical research in labs like you mentioned always end with some type of poster presentation, publication, authorship, etc. I would say talk to both PI's and see which one you think will be more beneficial.

Would you say it’s more beneficial to stick in my current lab or switch to clinical research with maybe a publication for the summer?

Would you say it’s more beneficial to stick in my current lab or switch to clinical research with maybe a publication for the summer?
It depends. Would you still be able to stay with your current lab for next school year? If yes, go ahead and do the summer research. If not, I would stick to your current lab.