Summer schedule advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ante cibum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm coming to the end of my sophomore year. From what I've read it's important to not only fulfill prerequisites with high grades(especially science) but also to demonstrate taking full-time and high science and math loads as well.

Well, in my first two years I didn't know I wanted to get into pharmacy. So most semesters I've averaged like 9 credit hours and sometimes less, but went to school year round. This spring semester I corrected that, I've been attaining a full-time load taking General Biology II, genetics, a jazz class, and a phys ed elective for the minimum 12.

So, I'm thinking I really need to demonstrate I can handle tougher academic loads, so I decided to sign up for General college chemistry this summer and take 1 and 2 concurrently. I've been studying for I since January using Wiley's self-teaching guide.

Here's where I need advice. I also need calculus. Do you guys think it would be easier to take general college chemistry concurrently or for me to take General chemistry I and Calculus I? My math skills are good, although I really need to work on practice problems. I struggle to do them. I know...practice problems build mastery in math and probably chemistry too

Thoughts?

Also, I have a three W's on my transcript. One before I really got a hold on school, after being out for a number of years and one for college physics, which I wasn't prepared for. When I apply will I need to include a letter about my withdraws? Good news is, I'm going to finish the semester with a 4.0, so my GPA will remain high. The counselor at the pharm program said if I went full-time from here on forth I should be fine. Does that sound right to you guys?

Thanks for the feedback. Also, I'm trying to get into the pharmacology/toxicology PhD program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, I'm thinking I really need to demonstrate I can handle tougher academic loads, so I decided to sign up for General college chemistry this summer and take 1 and 2 concurrently. I've been studying for I since January using Wiley's self-teaching guide.

Here's where I need advice. I also need calculus. Do you guys think it would be easier to take general college chemistry concurrently or for me to take General chemistry I and Calculus I? My math skills are good, although I really need to work on practice problems. I struggle to do them. I know...practice problems build mastery in math and probably chemistry too

Thoughts?

m.

Summer courses are fast paced. Take one of three courses in the summer so you can get a good grade. Demonstrate you can handle a full time load in the regular academic year.

Let's say I try to complete General college chemistry and calculus.

Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm coming to the end of my sophomore year. From what I've read it's important to not only fulfill prerequisites with high grades(especially science) but also to demonstrate taking full-time and high science and math loads as well.

Well, in my first two years I didn't know I wanted to get into pharmacy. So most semesters I've averaged like 9 credit hours and sometimes less, but went to school year round. This spring semester I corrected that, I've been attaining a full-time load taking General Biology II, genetics, a jazz class, and a phys ed elective for the minimum 12.

Thoughts?

Also, I have a three W's on my transcript. One before I really got a hold on school, after being out for a number of years and one for college physics, which I wasn't prepared for. When I apply will I need to include a letter about my withdraws? Good news is, I'm going to finish the semester with a 4.0, so my GPA will remain high. The counselor at the pharm program said if I went full-time from here on forth I should be fine. Does that sound right to you guys?

Thanks for the feedback. Also, I'm trying to get into the pharmacology/toxicology PhD program.

Well the W's will always be on your transcript. Some schools may have a supplemental application where you can include a few passages with anything you may want the adcom to know about. If you wanted to you could certainly explain yourself in that section. They may ask you about them in an interview (if they have access to your transcript). It sounds like you are capable enough, so I'd go full-time but do not forget about your extracurriculars. They are just as important as your GPA and to some schools maybe even more important (of course as long as you meet the GPA min requirements).

Let's say I try to complete General college chemistry and calculus.

Does anyone have any advice?

You should not have a problem with these courses since you believe you are decent at math. Gen Chem is mostly conceptual and I found it interesting and therefore it was pretty easy for me. I really just showed up for class without any need to study, your mileage here may vary and I'm definitely not recommending to not study, just mentioning my personal experience. Calc is probably going to be where you spend a bit more of your time. If you have a choice make sure you look at ratemyprofessor.com to ensure you get a good prof (sometimes you don't have much of an option). It really helps to have a good prof for science/math courses. Almost nothing is worse than taking a difficult course with the added bonus of a hard to understand foreign prof with a thick accent. I took a physics course during the summer and didn't feel stressed out (got A's and finished both Physics I and II in one summer).

Summer courses are fast paced. Take one of three courses in the summer so you can get a good grade. Demonstrate you can handle a full time load in the regular academic year.

I think that's good advice for me. Most pharm programs have required summer classes, so I'd demonstrate I'm capable of going year-round.

Thank you for your advice, everyone.

Hmm I took physics in the summer and it sucked.. but I got a B+, so balance that out I took something super easy like psychology rofl A+.

My advice is if: you plan to take a summer science course and it's hard.. either take it alone or take something so easy you don't have to even think about it.

-G