This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diana2000

Reaction score
Hello everyone! very new to SDN (please go easy on me)

I joined this site in hopes of getting some insight on what to do. I am a prepharmacy student and am planing to apply for the coming cycle. I’ve been really anxious on whether or not i’d get an interview or even accepted so here are my stats (currently a junior)

cumulative (so far): 3.4

science gpa (so far) 3.37

science gpa (using pharmcas) : around a 2.87

gpa (using pharmcas): around a 2.86

pcat: not taken because the schools i want to apply to removed the requirement either indefinitely or for this cycle unless you have under a 3.0 cumulative (which i don’t)

I have repeated a couple classes since i was on academic probation my freshman year since i didn’t take school seriously (karma hit me back). One of my classes i failed to show up to a final so it gave me a WF (withdrawal fail my fall sophomore year ) so i’m assuming they count that as an F. I also have a F, and another F at a community college (both my freshman year), and a FCV (failure due to covid) on my transcript for a class i was retaking but ended up doing again and got a B.
here are some of my ECS

-I have been working at a pharmacy for 2 years now and have been shadowing for 3 1/2 years

-volunteered at day cares (over 200 hours)

-volunteered at clothing drives

-tutoring

-in a health club at my university (early 2020-present)

-in a mental health awareness club (early 2021-present)

I have no academic cheating citations and overall a very clear record. I have shown a huge positive gpa trend being that my freshman year i was at a 1.79 cumulative and now i’m at a 3.4. Do i have a shot still? i’d appreciate all the feedback! I only have 2 C’s (with grade replacement) and the rest i received either an A or B+ Would appreciate any feedback! good or bad!

Members don't see this ad.

tl;dr the best advice regarding pharmacy school is to avoid like the plague.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy school acceptance rates are over 80% nowadays. You have nothing to worry about getting in. Besides, any pharmacy school would love to have your tuition money!

i’ve been told this as well, but i don’t think i can qualify for med or optometry

Who said you have to go into med or optometry? There are far more professions than that. I.e. computer programming, engineering, finance, the trades, accounting, etc.

Who said you have to go into med or optometry? There are far more professions than that. I.e. computer programming, engineering, finance, the trades, accounting, etc.
well optometry was my second choice! or pa school i still want to go into the science field :’)

As far as acceptance, as long as you have a pulse, more than likely you will find a school that will accept you, which should fire numerous alarms inside your head. This field is over saturated and will continue that way until the amount of people graduated decreases dramatically. Schools don’t care about this statistic and will gladly take your money, which is part of the problem. My advice is to find another field that has better job opportunities and far less tuition cost. Plenty of them out there. Pharmacist wages and hours continue to fall. Beware of this field.

well optometry was my second choice! or pa school i still want to go into the science field :’)
one of the larger podiatry schools would take you (they don't receive enough applicants to be that picky)...doesn't guarantee you would succeed however

See this thread. There are thousands of unemployed pharmDs and someone even set up a donation fund for them.