Summer schedule that would best prepare me for August '05 MCAT!.............

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mystic river 00

Mystic River 00
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in undergrad school. (will be a junior as of summer)

Well, I am trying to figure out my summer schedule and my options are: just to take physics, by itself, because the time of the class overlaps with all of the other classes. OR, take both basic chemistry and Bio: plants (which then I wouldnt be able to take physics). I've never had physics before but I was wondering if I could teach myself, using the internet, books and what not. Which do you feel would best prepare me for the August MCAT? Along with physics, I've never taken organic chemistry. Out of the three, can anyone put in order the easiest to hardest subjects to self learn: chemistry, organic chemistry, physics. I know I won't be completely prepared for the august MCAT but I wan't to get a feel for the real thing so that's why I'll take it. However, I definitely plan to also take the test in April 2006, the 2nd semester of my junior year. Lastly, have new 2005 MCAT study books come out yet? I was considering buying 2004 books at discounted prices online but was unsure if I should do this because I don't know how much updated info. the 2005 books contain for the 2005 tests. Responses would be greatly appreciated--thanks!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

mystic river 00 said:
I'm a sophomore in undergrad school. (will be a junior as of summer)

Well, I am trying to figure out my summer schedule and my options are: just to take physics, by itself, because the time of the class overlaps with all of the other classes. OR, take both basic chemistry and Bio: plants (which then I wouldnt be able to take physics). I've never had physics before but I was wondering if I could teach myself, using the internet, books and what not. Which do you feel would best prepare me for the August MCAT? Along with physics, I've never taken organic chemistry. Out of the three, can anyone put in order the easiest to hardest subjects to self learn: chemistry, organic chemistry, physics. I know I won't be completely prepared for the august MCAT but I wan't to get a feel for the real thing so that's why I'll take it. However, I definitely plan to also take the test in April 2006, the 2nd semester of my junior year. Lastly, have new 2005 MCAT study books come out yet? I was considering buying 2004 books at discounted prices online but was unsure if I should do this because I don't know how much updated info. the 2005 books contain for the 2005 tests. Responses would be greatly appreciated--thanks!! :thumbup:

In my opinion...

1. Physics
2. Organic Chemistry
3. General Chemistry

Nothing personal, but I think you're being overly ambitious. Taking the MCAT in August of your sophomore year doesn't give you much of an advantage (if you do poorly) than taking it in April of your junior year.

My suggestion--if you're truly worried about the MCAT--is start looking over the stuff this summer to get an idea of what you need to prepare yourself on. Take whatever classes you feel like you can fit into your schedule. For me, I think taking physics now would be more advantageous than taking biology. Biology, is for the most part, a lot of memorization whereas physics (especially if you've never taken it before) is much more concept-heavy. Taking physics now will give you sufficient time to let the material "sink-in" so that you'll have a much, much better understanding of the concepts (which is what the MCAT is good at testing).

I'd recommend Examkrackers' materials combined with AAMC MCAT practice tests. Also, it might be more worthwhile to find a paying job this summer so that you'll have some spending cash to cover the co$t$ of the MCAT, MCAT materials, and medical school applications.

Good luck!
Sam

The difficulty of subjects, I find, varies completely from person to person. Most people I know had the toughest time with orgo; for me, orgo and physics (I APed out of it after taing 2 years in high school) were no problem, but gen chem gave be fits.

I took the MCAT during the summer after sophomore year, and it worked out, but only because I had all the prerequisites done. Another thing to remember is that while it's tempting to not have to study during the school year, if you test during the summer you are going up against people who have also had the entire summer to study. Alot of people seem to overlook this fact- the conditions are the same for everybody in summer and spring, and the scores are normalized for each administration of the test, not for the entire year.

Basically, I side with Sam- take physics if you want to this summer, but you should probably hold off on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
the MCAT is difficult as it is.. Let alone taking physics and another class with it. I'm not saying you couldn't do well, but you definately aren't maximizing your chances. I would wait and take the classes and prepare for the april one.

Last edited:
Your MCAT scores are frequently only good for 3 years. Thus should you hit a hitch and want to take a year off after school or take 5 years....you take the MCAT again because your old scores are no longer admissible. Chill out. Find a cool volunteering job to be sure this is what you want. I worked all four years.

Don't take the MCAT just for practice! Schools see ALL of your MCAT scores, so if you take it without being totally prepared, it will come back to haunt you. If you really want to see how you would do, find an old exam and take it under test conditions.