summer school or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

behealthy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I'm planning on graduating this June, after 5 long years in school. I've got a slight dilemma though: I'm fairly sure I might end up with a ~2.97 or there abouts, and I'm wondering whether it's worth spending another 5 weeks, and 1000 bucks, to push me over the 3.0 threshold. I'm not planning on applying anywhere this year ( I know I'll end up doing post-bacc eventually), but is that .03 worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, I'm planning on graduating this June, after 5 long years in school. I've got a slight dilemma though: I'm fairly sure I might end up with a ~2.97 or there abouts, and I'm wondering whether it's worth spending another 5 weeks, and 1000 bucks, to push me over the 3.0 threshold. I'm not planning on applying anywhere this year ( I know I'll end up doing post-bacc eventually), but is that .03 worth it?

If you are going to end up doing it somewhere else anyway, might want to skip summer school. You will need to spend intense amount of time this summer. If you are going to wait to apply anyway you would be better off piling another class on top of full time tuition in the fall. Or, unless you knew this was a pre req you were sure you could get an A in or want to avoid a painful full term (like OCHEM).

In looking at post-bac programs, you may find that some only accept people who are over the 3.0 threshold. Though 2.97 is pretty damn close, you never know how anal the post-bac admissions committee will be.

I'd take a close look at the number of credits you have so far, and find out exactly how much a grade of X would raise your GPA. With the credits I've accumulated, for instance, an A in a full-credit course brings my gpa up by 0.03. If you decide to do the summer class, find out what you'd need to get over the 3.0 mark and be sure you get it.

Personally I think summer classes are a good way to go. I'd have done all my prereqs during the summer if I could :) But it's up to you & depends on your situation. Also don't forget the value of having a summer off from school work. I've been taking classes nonstop since summer '07 and sometimes worry that I am starting to burn out...

Members don't see this ad :)
Only since summer 07 ;) ? I've taken summer courses for the last 4 years in a row, so I certainly do feel burnt out. I've got to do some grade calcs, but I'm fairly sure getting some times off is worth it, especially if I might end up just moving from say 2.97 to 2.99.....

Last edited:
wow its great
i am in my final years too
very happy a lot of hard work

Need a recommendation on which would be better to take during summer school: Physics I or Anatomy/Physiology, given the fact that I will be out of town the last week of class.

The physics class is 5 1/2 hours 2-days a weeks (half for class, half for lab)
Anatomy is 2 1/2 hours 4-days a week (2 lab days, 2 class days)(But I figure since this is not a required class just a nice to have/ GPA booster/interest class I could not take the lab component.)

a&p are not universal requirements - physics 1&2 are. that being said, i would take the physics in the fall and use the summer for the other classes

Get the GPA above a 3.0. It's both a psychological barrier and a computer cut-off with some programs (if in fact they end up going that low).