Summer school?

HeatherB1192

Heather
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to take summer school and meet all the requirements that I need to apply for Medical School would I be able to finish my undergraduate school before 4 years?

Sorry, I might have worded that confusing.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can take classes during the summer, along with a heavy load to finish faster. I had the same question, asked a friend of mine at Iowa. I might do it myself, just because the prospect of not getting a real paycheck for 8 years is depressing.

Where in Iowa are you? Where are you going?

Yes, you can take classes during the summer, along with a heavy load to finish faster. I had the same question, asked a friend of mine at Iowa. I might do it myself, just because the prospect of not getting a real paycheck for 8 years is depressing.

Where in Iowa are you? Where are you going?

Alright, thanks! I live in Des Moines. I know for sure I'm going to the University of Iowa for Undergrad atleast.. But I'm not sure yet if I want to try to get into Iowa's Med school.. or DMU. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in CR, and am going to Iowa this fall, too. I dont really use the forums too much, but you're the first Iowa student i've come across!

For med school, I want out of this place! Winter, especially here with the wind and all, makes most things pretty unpleasant (the exception being the first few hours during and after a snowfall - everything is peaceful). Might go to Cali or even somewhere that still has snow, like NY.

I live in CR, and am going to Iowa this fall, too. I dont really use the forums too much, but you're the first Iowa student i've come across!

For med school, I want out of this place! Winter, especially here with the wind and all, makes most things pretty unpleasant (the exception being the first few hours during and after a snowfall - everything is peaceful). Might go to Cali or even somewhere that still has snow, like NY.

Really? Well good-luck! I would get homesick if I left! haha, so I'll be working my butt off so I'm able to get into one of those two!

Last edited:
Theoretically if you are on a quarter system and you studied each summer you could graduate a year early. Plus if you did a more rigorous load you could make shave some time off of that too.

oh and in terms of UI vs. DMU in med school, Iowa is 7th on the US News ranking in primary care. Aside from that, I think most on these forums are aware of Iowa's reputation as an excelent med school.

4y2RwP8DcQ+d6rT9ATiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Theoretically if you are on a quarter system and you studied each summer you could graduate a year early. Plus if you did a more rigorous load you could make shave some time off of that too.

Actually, I did this. And, I am going to graduate a year early. I took a class at a community college my sophomore summer. Then, I took one my junior year in the fall. Then one my junior year in the spring. And then one my junior summer. Then, my senior year, I took two dual credit classes at my high school. I was use to the course load and took two dual credit classes, one class at the college, my senior year in the spring. I did that while being in A LOT of extracurricular activities, in which I had a lot of responsibility. I would not advise putting too much on your plate, like I did, my senior year in the spring. Because, that semester can get really hectic:(...

Make sure you talk to an advisor at your future college. For example, if you plan on majoring in Biology, like me, don't take those at the community college. Because, the preparation may be different at your future university and you may end up being underprepared for the tougher classes. However, you can do wateva you want really. I ended up taking a senior class my "freshman" year at a really tough college and struggled. Not saying I didn't like the class. It was my favorite:love:, which is the only reason I got a good grade.

I am surprised not many students take advantage of their local community college. It rocks realizing your ahead and you still have time to retake if needed, or work out some mistakes. Hope everything works out for you!:)