Summer Session Prereq Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping that some of you out there who may have taken these classes in either summer or regular session can give me some insight on which might be the best to take over a summer session (8 weeks).

I would be taking this class at a state school (4 year institution), so let's assume the class difficulty is average, which is the general consensus of students at my school. All of these classes would be 8 weeks long, and the professors are decent enough.

Choices:
-Organic Chemistry I (no lab)
-Biochemistry (would not take accompanying lab. I will not have had O-Chem I in this case, however, I was told it is easier than O-Chem I and I can have the prereq waived)
-College Physics I (Trig based) with lab.
-Exercise Physiology (no lab)

I'm only looking to take one of these in summer session since I also have to volunteer, however, I won't be working full time anymore so that I can dedicate the time (total immersion style). I'm definitely leaning more towards Biochem or Physics, as I think O-Chem over the summer would be a nightmare and I'm looking to keep my GPA up. But like I said, any advice from veterans of these classes would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For the chem pre-req, i'm pretty sure most programs require it to have a lab, so if you're using OChem as a chem pre-req, you need to rethink about taking it with a lab

Well I've taken Gen Chem I and II, both with labs, so that is technically filling the chem requirement. O-Chem and Biochem are "strongly recommended" prerequisites for most programs I'm looking at, but just the lecture, not the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go with physics...it's the only prereq you listed that is required by all PT schools. Ochem, biochem, and ex phys are recommended, but very few schools actually require it. Get the must-haves done, and then worry about the "strongly recommended" courses.

I'd agree that Physics seems like the best choice. I took both Physics I and II over the summer and it was so much easier since it was the only class I had to concentrate on. I also volunteered 1 day a week in a sub-acute setting. Also it is better to have the core requirements out of the way before you apply.

I'd also recommend taking physics over the summer. It's what I did, and I thought it was a good choice. Physics, for me, wasn't very relevant in the other courses I was taking (except maybe a little in biomechanics), however the chemistry knowledge I had was brought up in other classes.
I think it's best just to take physics and get it over with over the summer.

Sounds like the general consensus is to go for Physics I. My only apprehension was that physics is such a paradigm shift from my current thinking (immersed in biology and chemistry classes). I was worried a summer session would be a rude awakening, but now I'm really considering just going for it. Thanks guys!

Yea, I would also go with physics...I also feel that the labs in physics are not as much of a pain in the butt as the chem labs...but I guess it all depends on where you take it. If you are concerned about the paradigm shift, then I would just recommend doing as much of the hard practice problems as you can in your book, and always read ahead prior to lecture. I remember I had to relearn how to do the quadratic equation for my physics class. good luck!

As I said in another thread, go to MathTutorDVD.com and buy the Physics DVDs. Watch the DVD before you go to lecture and you'll understand the material so much better. Do extra problems in the textbook and use Cramster to see the solutions.

Kevin