How should I manage my applications this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipzs

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
As the title states, Im not sure how I should manage my summer with apps coming this cycle. I am currently working as an acute PT Tech at a very large hospital with a very supportive manager that will also help me obtain observation hours in other clinics. My current issue is that I work 4 days a week ~30 hours and I am about to retake A&P 1 and A&P 2 in a 5 week summer format. I wanted to retake the GRE (~155V ~153Q) before I submitted my applications or close to it, but now im thinking I should focus on one thing at a time. My thinking going into this application cycle was to get all the things done (hours, GRE, summer school, rec letters) around early August to boost my chances of getting an interview. Is it important to have all my things complete when I submit my application, or is it okay to add things weeks later like GRE and additional observation hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the program, a lot of them only request that you complete the hours by the time you start the program. As far as classes, you can have them in progress, (I will be taking Physics 2 during apps), but make sure you don't have too many outstanding. It makes it harder for them to gauge your grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
As the title states, Im not sure how I should manage my summer with apps coming this cycle. I am currently working as an acute PT Tech at a very large hospital with a very supportive manager that will also help me obtain observation hours in other clinics. My current issue is that I work 4 days a week ~30 hours and I am about to retake A&P 1 and A&P 2 in a 5 week summer format. I wanted to retake the GRE (~155V ~153Q) before I submitted my applications or close to it, but now im thinking I should focus on one thing at a time. My thinking going into this application cycle was to get all the things done (hours, GRE, summer school, rec letters) around early August to boost my chances of getting an interview. Is it important to have all my things complete when I submit my application, or is it okay to add things weeks later like GRE and additional observation hours.
Being a strong organizer and manager of time/priorities is an essential skill, especially as a future professional. You probably know what your goals are when it comes to submitting a strong application so that you enter PT school at the desired time.

Having reviewed PT applicants, it is important to make sure you have as much completed for application review as possible, or that you have the capability of completing your essential/required items so that it's not a problem to transition you to an enrolled student. You have a lot of very significant speed bumps that will undermine your attempt to apply this cycle if you don't succeed: specifically the A&P course retakes and the GRE.

If you need a suggestion on which to focus on, hands down for me it would be your classes. Preparing for the GRE isn't as critical for success as passing your A&P courses. A top GRE score will not compensate for failing A&P, whereas you can always retake the GRE if you wanted to. LOR's are out of your control, but you need to get that ball rolling before professors get too distracted with teaching summer classes or their summer workload. I don't know if you're still low on observation hours, but you need to plan that on your calendar.

You can do this around your work schedule. Keep specific goals for yourself every week and find the time to work around your work and leisure time, but dedicate time every day to it. Give yourself at least daily tasks and weekly goals in proper balance (work, family/friends, relationships, application, personal).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the program, a lot of them only request that you complete the hours by the time you start the program. As far as classes, you can have them in progress, (I will be taking Physics 2 during apps), but make sure you don't have too many outstanding. It makes it harder for them to gauge your grades.
Thanks for the advice!

Being a strong organizer and manager of time/priorities is an essential skill, especially as a future professional. You probably know what your goals are when it comes to submitting a strong application so that you enter PT school at the desired time.

Having reviewed PT applicants, it is important to make sure you have as much completed for application review as possible, or that you have the capability of completing your essential/required items so that it's not a problem to transition you to an enrolled student. You have a lot of very significant speed bumps that will undermine your attempt to apply this cycle if you don't succeed: specifically the A&P course retakes and the GRE.

If you need a suggestion on which to focus on, hands down for me it would be your classes. Preparing for the GRE isn't as critical for success as passing your A&P courses. A top GRE score will not compensate for failing A&P, whereas you can always retake the GRE if you wanted to. LOR's are out of your control, but you need to get that ball rolling before professors get too distracted with teaching summer classes or their summer workload. I don't know if you're still low on observation hours, but you need to plan that on your calendar.

You can do this around your work schedule. Keep specific goals for yourself every week and find the time to work around your work and leisure time, but dedicate time every day to it. Give yourself at least daily tasks and weekly goals in proper balance (work, family/friends, relationships, application, personal).
Hi Mr Smile
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed response on what my next actions should be. I really should've provided more context to my situation because I can see how my writing may have confused others. I have actually graduated at a 4 year university with a degree in Pre health kinesiology and a GPA of 3.65. I am unsatisfied with my GPA and it has pushed me to retake some classes I got a B in, like A&P. Given that you have reviewed PT applicates, I have a couple of question I hope you have the time for.

1. I heard that submitting applications early in the cycle (like in July and August) allows you to have an easier chance of getting an interview or acceptance, especially those who use rolling applications. Would it be better to cram all my improvements( additional hours, GRE, LOR, and classes) before I submit my application, or should I submit my application, and then take the time to add improvements on one item at a time?

2. Working at a large hospital allows me to connect to co-workers that have gone to my dream schools, does a recommendation letter from an alumni to each of my dream school help my application at all? Should I just focus on getting a solid letter from a couple of therapists even if they did not go to the school Im aiming for?

3. Kinda similar to question 1, but I have access to take the next couple of months and add in additional observation hours like SNF, outpatient ortho, outpatient neuro, inpatient acute, and LTACH.(due to my connections at the hospital) Should I try to complete this over the next two months, or should I accumulate more total hours over a longer period of time?