Summer Spanish Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bendrix

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm poking around for a quality summer Spanish immersion program, preferably in Central America. Does anyone recommend a specific program, or at least a good resource for researching what's available?

Members don't see this ad.

I attended a medical spanish program affiliated with the universidad autonoma de guadalajara (A university in mexico that does have a medical school) in mexico in the summer for 1 month. You live with a host family, take classes in spanish grammar and medical spanish terms, and shadow family doctors in poor clinics from 2-6 pm in the afternoon.

It was a great experience and I'd recommend it if you're interested in learning spanish. It's not in central america but it's still a good program. If you want more information feel free to pm me.

I'm looking into similar stuff. I don't have much info yet, but CIEE programs (Council on International Education Exchange) is listed by my undergrad's career services office. They have language programs around the world, including Latin/South America and Spain.

www.ciee.org

My sense is there may be cheaper programs that are just as good, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having been on exchange twice with other programs and lived with students on Council while abroad, I would recommend avoiding Council...Their programs cost more than any others, and you don't get any more. There are lots more programs out there and you might have to work to find them, but it's worth the money you'd save.

I would reccomend setting up classes once you get to Latin America. You will pay a whole lot less (2-5 dollars an hour) and will be able to figure out where the best school is. If you go through an organization you are basically paying them to do this for you.

i too am looking for a spanish program this summer. I've found something that looks pretty good: www.firststepworld.com. They go all over the world. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Im going to Costa rica this summer through a program via the American Medical student association but the program is for all health care interested students. Its called salud and you can choose 7rl latin american countries. Im going to be living with a host family, learn spanish and learn about the health care system in costa rica. The website is Amerispan.com

ECU Med 07

You can try looking into a program called Salud. It's geared towards a variety of language levels and seems pretty organized. The only downside (from what I saw when I skimmed their website) is that it was a bit too pricey for me. Then again, I am a penny pincher. :D

Sorry for the double-mentioning of Salud. I guess I should hit my refresh button more often! :p

Let me say this again, you guys are wasting so much money to go through an organized program. I understand the desire to have everything "figured out" before going but part of traveling involves taking risks and not having everything nicely layed out. If you go to a city like Antigua, Quito or any other major city there will be hundreds of excellent Spanish language schools and you will save tons of money. Moreover, you all your money will go to help the local economy and will not be skimmed off by some American organization.

Originally posted by personal jesus
Let me say this again, you guys are wasting so much money to go through an organized program. I understand the desire to have everything "figured out" before going but part of traveling involves taking risks and not having everything nicely layed out. If you go to a city like Antigua, Quito or any other major city there will be hundreds of excellent Spanish language schools and you will save tons of money. Moreover, you all your money will go to help the local economy and will not be skimmed off by some American organization.
The difference is, as was in the program I attended, that they taught medical spanish terms used in the hospital. Also, I shadowed doctors from 2 to 6 pm straight watching the doctors see patients and I learned all kinds of stuff, all in spanish.

There they had no nurses, the doctor saw their patients for half an hour at least each, I got to check vital signs and do things like that. I even saw a couple of surgeries performed. The cool thing is all the patients thought we were doctors since we had long white coats and addressed us as such.

This is an added benefit that this particular program had in addition to just learning spanish.

Does anyone know of summer spanish programs in the US?
Thanks!

Originally posted by gsx56
Does anyone know of summer spanish programs in the US?
Thanks!
:laugh: I don't think they exist. If you want to take anything close to a summer spanish program in the US, you can go to a community college and take a spanish class.

The only way to learn a foreign language is to be immersed in the language and culture. It is extremely difficult to learn another language without hearing it 24 hours a day.

Originally posted by personal jesus

Without a host family or dorm arrangement, where did you live?

And by the way, travelling means different things to different people.

I don't think they exist. If you want to take anything close to a summer spanish program in the US, you can go to a community college and take a spanish class.

Actually, many medical schools have summer Spanish programs for health professionals - UVA, for one. I think UF has one, too.

Can anyone think of any others?