Summers; Rest or Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azawakh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I was wondering how veterinary students generally spend their summer breaks and what advice could be given to someone who knows early on that they will be pursuing internships/residencies post-dvm?

Members don't see this ad.

Azawakh said:
Hello all!
I was wondering how veterinary students generally spend their summer breaks and what advice could be given to someone who knows early on that they will be pursuing internships/residencies post-dvm?

I just completed my first year of vet school and I've spent this summer working at a research facility approximately 30 hours a week. However with that being said, when I'm not working I am at the beach, biking, running, etc. :D

Most of my classmates went to work at traditional practices, obtained jobs with the USDA, etc. I also know a few who did some traveling and are for the most part just "taking it easy". I think it's nice to have an equilibrium between work and play during the summer.

Anggel said:
I just completed my first year of vet school and I've spent this summer working at a research facility approximately 30 hours a week. However with that being said, when I'm not working I am at the beach, biking, running, etc. :D

Most of my classmates went to work at traditional practices, obtained jobs with the USDA, etc. I also know a few who did some traveling and are for the most part just "taking it easy". I think it's nice to have an equilibrium between work and play during the summer.

Nice, I just started working in a clinical pathology laboratory at Tufts-CSVM (I will be a 1st year in the fall) and it seems like a lot of students work at traditional practices (varying specialities, i.e ER, LA, SA, Exotics) for their summers and a small number do research. I guess it makes sense to get more LA/SA clinical experience particularly if you lack experience so that when rotations begin you get good marks which will translate to good recommendations for internships/residencies.