Summers; Rest or Research

Started by Azawakh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Azawakh

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!
I was wondering how veterinary students generally spend their summer breaks and what advice could be given to someone who knows early on that they will be pursuing internships/residencies post-dvm?
 
Azawakh said:
Hello all!
I was wondering how veterinary students generally spend their summer breaks and what advice could be given to someone who knows early on that they will be pursuing internships/residencies post-dvm?


I just completed my first year of vet school and I've spent this summer working at a research facility approximately 30 hours a week. However with that being said, when I'm not working I am at the beach, biking, running, etc. 😀

Most of my classmates went to work at traditional practices, obtained jobs with the USDA, etc. I also know a few who did some traveling and are for the most part just "taking it easy". I think it's nice to have an equilibrium between work and play during the summer.
 
Anggel said:
I just completed my first year of vet school and I've spent this summer working at a research facility approximately 30 hours a week. However with that being said, when I'm not working I am at the beach, biking, running, etc. 😀

Most of my classmates went to work at traditional practices, obtained jobs with the USDA, etc. I also know a few who did some traveling and are for the most part just "taking it easy". I think it's nice to have an equilibrium between work and play during the summer.

Nice, I just started working in a clinical pathology laboratory at Tufts-CSVM (I will be a 1st year in the fall) and it seems like a lot of students work at traditional practices (varying specialities, i.e ER, LA, SA, Exotics) for their summers and a small number do research. I guess it makes sense to get more LA/SA clinical experience particularly if you lack experience so that when rotations begin you get good marks which will translate to good recommendations for internships/residencies.