Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I'm a current first year and still pretty new on how to best prepare to apply for internship/residency but I have a strong interest in oncology and I am leaning towards pursuing it in the future. Right now, I am trying to plan how to best maximize my summers to help me build a stronger application by the time fourth year rolls around. I feel lucky enough to have been offered two great oncology research opportunities for this summer and I am torn on which to choose-- I was hoping anyone who is more familiar with the match, current residents, attendings, etc. could advise on which would be best for my professional development and future application.
Option 1:
Research opportunity at a highly acclaimed institution (not a vet school) that very strongly aligns with past oncology research I have done as an undergrad, would sort of be like a continuation of it. The mentor I was offered a position with here is also very well known in the human med world for some big studies that he's done (although I don't think he has as big of a reputation in the vet med world). I think the biggest pro of this option is that the research project I would be working on here falls within a very specific niche of oncology research that I have worked on for several years now and have been included on a paper on in the past, so application wise I think following this common theme could help me stand out.
Cons are that students are generally far less likely to publish at this institution and it's very loosely clinically/vet med related, although there are some translational aspects to it and there are a couple vet pathologists working on the project. Lack of clinical experience is what is mostly holding me back here; I don't have any clinical oncology experience so I was hoping to find an opportunity this summer that would integrate some clinical aspects. However, I do know of a place doing veterinary onc clinical trials nearby that I would likely reach out to for experience/shadowing although it wouldn't be related to the research at all and it would have to be on a very part-time basis.
Option 2:
Research opportunity with an oncologist at my current school. I don't have any previous experience with this project's focus so I'd be starting from square one. Biggest pros here are that it's very integrated with the clinical trials component so I would have the opportunity for clinical experience and valuable LOR/networking potential with oncologists from my school. I also think I would have a greater chance of publishing here bc vet school faculty are more willing to include summer students on their papers (or so I've heard lol-- correct me if I'm wrong).
Con is that I think as compared to the other option, my ability to contribute deeply to this research will be more limited due to my lack of previous experience in this research area. Since the oncologist is at my school however, there is probably some opportunity for me to continue working on this project in the future if all goes well over the summer. The other (sort of) con is the research here is less "niche" so I think it would be less of a stand out point on applications but I know LORs are generally valued the most.
-----
Overall I think option 2 sounds logistically better now that I'm writing both out, but personal interest-wise I think I may be leaning slightly more towards option 1. I am also lowkey worried whether it would look bad for me to turn down an opportunity from the oncologist at my school when I know it would be such a valuable connection going forward. If anyone has advice or personal experience to share, it would be very appreciated!
Option 1:
Research opportunity at a highly acclaimed institution (not a vet school) that very strongly aligns with past oncology research I have done as an undergrad, would sort of be like a continuation of it. The mentor I was offered a position with here is also very well known in the human med world for some big studies that he's done (although I don't think he has as big of a reputation in the vet med world). I think the biggest pro of this option is that the research project I would be working on here falls within a very specific niche of oncology research that I have worked on for several years now and have been included on a paper on in the past, so application wise I think following this common theme could help me stand out.
Cons are that students are generally far less likely to publish at this institution and it's very loosely clinically/vet med related, although there are some translational aspects to it and there are a couple vet pathologists working on the project. Lack of clinical experience is what is mostly holding me back here; I don't have any clinical oncology experience so I was hoping to find an opportunity this summer that would integrate some clinical aspects. However, I do know of a place doing veterinary onc clinical trials nearby that I would likely reach out to for experience/shadowing although it wouldn't be related to the research at all and it would have to be on a very part-time basis.
Option 2:
Research opportunity with an oncologist at my current school. I don't have any previous experience with this project's focus so I'd be starting from square one. Biggest pros here are that it's very integrated with the clinical trials component so I would have the opportunity for clinical experience and valuable LOR/networking potential with oncologists from my school. I also think I would have a greater chance of publishing here bc vet school faculty are more willing to include summer students on their papers (or so I've heard lol-- correct me if I'm wrong).
Con is that I think as compared to the other option, my ability to contribute deeply to this research will be more limited due to my lack of previous experience in this research area. Since the oncologist is at my school however, there is probably some opportunity for me to continue working on this project in the future if all goes well over the summer. The other (sort of) con is the research here is less "niche" so I think it would be less of a stand out point on applications but I know LORs are generally valued the most.
-----
Overall I think option 2 sounds logistically better now that I'm writing both out, but personal interest-wise I think I may be leaning slightly more towards option 1. I am also lowkey worried whether it would look bad for me to turn down an opportunity from the oncologist at my school when I know it would be such a valuable connection going forward. If anyone has advice or personal experience to share, it would be very appreciated!