SUNY Buffalo Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is a little discouraging because they told me they were in the beginning of the middle third 2 weeks ago. Do you think they just give out acceptances in bunches, or is it continously?

Members don't see this ad.

I just called and they said they are in the middle section.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in Buffalo on Thrusday so I dropped by the admissions office. I asked how the waitlist was moving and she held up a pile of about 6 acceptances that she was sending that day. I asked her if they do it in bunches or send acceptances continously and she said she tries to do some every day. So I took this as good news. I'm on vacation this week so I'm trying to keep my mind off this med school stuff, hopefully we will all get in soon.

I am on the "alternate list" as well, currently somewhere in the middle section. As of monday, 6/2, a secretary informed me that they are approx. 20 people into the middle third with continued movement. Additionally, Mr. Rosso returned an email of mine in which he stated that the turnover for the list has been faster this year than last year. I feel that if the info regarding the list can be used in predicting eventual acceptances then it looks good for all of us (that is however, a big if). However the fact remains that this year showed the first increase in med school applications in a long time. Furthermore, the "alternate list" is a truncated version of the origional "hold list"; an interseting point that has yet to be addressed on this thread- apparently due to "an unusual number of highly qualified candidates". Best of luck to all, I will certainly post when/if I get that letter or call so the rest of you may use it as a marker.

There are so many factors as to how the waitlist moves. Does anyone know how far the list moved last year?? I get the feeling that it moved into the bottom third, but not that far.

Eric, thanks for the update, and please let us know when you get your letter.

Hi guys. I'm a soon to be 2nd year at SUNY Buffalo. I know that the waiting list is moving very fast. I have 2 friends who just got in on Friday, and they were told they were in the middle of the mid 1/3 of the list. Have faith-- I'm sure you'll be receiving a phone call soon. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions about Buffalo.

Hi,

I found out that I am in the middle of the bottom third of the alternate list. Does anyone have any wisdom on this? Do they actually dip so low on this list, and if they do when would they reach this part of the waitlist?

Also, when is the last day they call people off the alternate list?

SUNY-Buffalo might be cold, and there is lots of snow there. But I really want to go there! Any advice/wisdom/support would be much appreciated!

Help!

I was told at my interview that last year, 2/3 of the hold list were accepted. The two prior years, 100% of the list was accepted. Although applications increased this year, the current alternate list is a smaller version of the origional hold list. Additionally, acceptances are made up until the first day of class if late positions open.

Its true that almost the entire waitlist was accepted last year.

I can't say that since it seems like a little tougher applicant pool this year. Maybe its people wanting to save money.

I look forward to meeting you guys.

I know some of the best student cam off the waitlist. (Including a couple of my friends and me)

Good Luck

If I can help you guys let me know

AK

Yes!! I just called and was told to watch my mail, I am accepted. Best of luck to all who are still waiting! This means the list must be moving toward the bottom of the middle third by now.

I hope that the list moves to the bottom third. Buffalo is my last chance to be accepted to medical school this year. I called Mr. Rosso yesterday and he said that the waitlist movement has begun to slow down. Does this translate to the list has stopped moving??

When is the first day of school?? Aug. 11th? Or is that the first day of oreintation?

What are people's plans if they are not accepted to a medical school this year?? I'm considering a public health degree and then reapplying. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jwalst55
I hope that the list moves to the bottom third. Buffalo is my last chance to be accepted to medical school this year. I called Mr. Rosso yesterday and he said that the waitlist movement has begun to slow down. Does this translate to the list has stopped moving??

When is the first day of school?? Aug. 11th? Or is that the first day of oreintation?

What are people's plans if they are not accepted to a medical school this year?? I'm considering a public health degree and then reapplying. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.

On the contrary, he mentioned to me that is still moving- if not faster. If we only got accepted!

It is important to remember that after 6/20, the admissions committee moves through the list by phone call - if there is no answer they skip to the next applicant. This process has the potential to move very quickly to the bottom third so wait by the phone!

I'm glad to hear that he told you guys different things than me. That is very encouraging. I don't understand why he would tell us different things. When did you talk to him?

Good job oldking! and thanks.

I called Mr. Rosso today and he said they are in the lower part of the middle third of the list!!!

Did he say if there was still good movement?? MNA, are you in the bottom 3rd too? I think that we will all be in good shape if they make it to the bottom 3rd by early July. From what I've heard Buffalo accepts many people the first week of classes.

He said there is movement but it has slowed down. I am in the bottom third too. Hopefully they will move faster down the list after june 20th.

That is our best hope. Also I would think that some people on the waitlist have been accepted to schools they would rather go to than Buffalo. So hopefully for every person like oldking that withdraws they will go through multiple people to find one to fill that spot. This process should be faster after June 20th.

So I am sure everyone has been going crazy without the updated info.. And I am sorry to say I don't really have any. I called Buffalo Friday and asked the secretary where people were being accepted from. She would only tell me from the middle (though we know it is from the bottom part of the middle third). So I think I might call Mr. Rosso sometime this week. But, if any of you got any better info.. :) that would be good.

I haven't called in two weeks. I'm trying my best to think about the waitlist as little as possible. I think that I might call this week too to see if the movement has picked back up after June 20th. It is conceivable that they could move through many people on the waitlist even if just a few people withdraw.

I just talked to mr rosso and they have just started accepting people from the bottom third! just thought you all would be excited to hear it. He said the list movement has slowed down but it is still moving. stay close to the phone :)

Thanks Raven. That is the best news I've heard in a long time! Do you know where you are in the bottom 3rd?? I'm in the middle so I still have a ways to go, but still this is great news. I was thinking that the best case scenario was that they would be in the bottom 3rd by July.

I called Mr. Rosso and he seemed much more optimisitc about our chances this time than he did a few weeks ago.

Hi,

I have several questions, please reply if you can answer them!

1. What does bump mean?

2. Does anyone know if there has been movement in the bottom third? Does anyone know if they will get to the bottome third this year?

Other than that, good luck everyone!!!
I REALLY want to go here!

HELP

bump means to send the thread bak up to the top of the forum pages for everyone to see.

I dont know about the movement but if they call me im not gonna go since i just got into drexel. I too am in the bottom 1/3 of the waitlist.

Buffalo is into the bottom 3rd of the waitlist. They moved into the bottom 3rd on Wed. of last week. I called again today and found out that they have still had movement into the bottom 3rd. Do you know where you are in the bottom 3rd? I was told months ago that I was in the middle of the bottom 3rd. I really hope that we all get in!!

Antgod congrats on Drexel. That is awesome.

i just into rochester so i'll be withdrawing my spot at buffalo soon(as soon as i get a fin aid package from rochester)...actually i was kind of getting excited about going to buffalo!

good luck to you all, i hope jwalst you get my spot!!

Thanks saiyagirl. I hope that I get your spot too ;), or at least someone else on this board.

Zei. where did you decide to go instead of Buffalo?

I think that things are looking pretty good for the people still on Buffalo's list.

ugh i head nothing today which means i will have to wait until monday :(

I am in the "upper" part of the bottom third.
Is anyone else and have you heard anything?
thanks

Zei. where did you decide to go instead of Buffalo?

I actually decided to go to NYMC...
I liked both schools a lot, but NYMC reminded me of my high school, which was a really important place to me, so it struck a cord. Also, location issues - I prefer the proximity to New York City and the fam is happier 'cause I'm closer to home.
But *holy mama* the cost is killing me.

Hey everyone,
I just got a call this morning!!! It was surreal, because I saw the number on the caller id but thought it was just another dream that I have been having for the past 3 months!
I hope you all get in as well. Oh yea, I was in the upper part of the lower third ( if that makes any sense).

Goodluck!

Raven hopefully you will get the call early this week. After you get the call I think that I'm going to be the last one on this list. Therefore I'll be calling the admissions office on a much more frequent basis.

I called the admissions office today and they told me that they can not give out information concerning where they are in the bottom third. Does anyone know why they would have changed their policies?? Earlier in the summer they were telling us where they were within each 3rd.

Also he told me that the list was still moving slowly. This is what he has been saying for sometime now. Did anyone hear anything else?

Now that the list is getting close to us I feel the wait is more agonizing.

You can only hope that they will be calling you in the next day.

You can't do anything to change their mind. Unless you have a couple million dollars.

hmmmm.....

do you

just joking

Just think positive.

What are your stats anyway?

AK

My stats aren't bad. I have a 3.4 GPA and 9, 11, 11, S on my mcat. The problem is that I have a downward trend in my GPA. During my interviews it was hard for me to explain the trend. Also I am technically a Florida resident although I'm moving to Buffalo this month regardless of whether or not I'm accepted. I've heard that I will have a better chance to be accepted next year once I'm officially a NY resident. I was also waitlisted at University of Florida but about two months ago they truncated their list and I was rejected......so Buffalo is my last chance for this year.

Hey,

Just checked out the thread today and noticed there was a lot of activity these past few weeks........

I to am in the bottom third and wanted to know if they reached the middle/bottom of the bottom third yet? They are giving me no info, but I can understand that?

Doc Adam K or anyone else- when do they reach the bottom of the bottom third or the middle of the bottom third of the waitlist?

Also, when is the last day they call ppl up?
Any recent news on the movement of the waitlist?!! If so as of when?

I really do want to go here, very much so!!!!!!!
Everyone is asking me what my plans are this year and I just comment that my plans are "waitlisted" for the moment!!!!

Any hope would be nice!
HELP

Raven hopefully you will get the call early this week. After you get the call I think that I'm going to be the last one on this list. Therefore I'll be calling the admissions office on a much more frequent basis.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: SO SHOULD I!!!!!!
I think we are in the same region of the waitlist!!!!!!
I DO HOPE EVERYONE GETS IN!!!!!!

HELP!!!!

Help,

I'm in the same boat as you. All I know is that they are in the top part of the bottom 3rd right now and that the list is moving "slowly." I'm not exactly sure what "slowly" means because last time they told me this they flew through the bottom 3rd of the middle 3rd. If slowly means now what it did a month ago we are in good shape.

Does anyone know if we can be accpeted all the way up to the first day of class (Aug 18th) or the first day of oreintation (Aug 11th)?? That would be useful information, maybe I'll call.

I know for a fact that they are still in the upper part of the bottom third because I am in it and I have not gotten the call.
I will post ASAP if I hear anything

they accept until aug 11 at 5pm

Originally posted by draven72981
I know for a fact that they are still in the upper part of the bottom third because I am in it and I have not gotten the call.
I will post ASAP if I hear anything

they accept until aug 11 at 5pm

Please post if you have any more updates!!!!

HELP!!!

Help,

I'm in the same boat as you. All I know is that they are in the top part of the bottom 3rd right now and that the list is moving "slowly." I'm not exactly sure what "slowly" means because last time they told me this they flew through the bottom 3rd of the middle 3rd. If slowly means now what it did a month ago we are in good shape.

All we can do is hope and sit by our phones!
I wonder where in the top of the bottom thirs they are right now?

HELP

This is getting obsessive but I called again today and was assured by the secretary that the waitlist is still moving and that we have until Aug. 11th to be accepted. She more or less told me not to lose hope. Anyway I'm taking a vacation so I'm not going to call or read posts for a week. Good luck to you guys this week.

It is very possible to be accepted during the first week

Becasue Monday thru Wed is pure orientation

Class starts Thursday and you can make those classes up. The Epidemology course isn't bad.

In the past doc Severin told me that he called 2 people 1 year on the first day of orientation.

AK

Doc Adam K,

Thank You........That is very hopeful. So it is feasible that students can be called during the week of August 11th if I am not mistaken?

On another note, does ANYONE have ANY more updates on the waitlist movement?

I was wondering if they are still stuck in the upper third of the bottom third?

HELP

hey HELP

I am still waiting and I am in the upper part of the bottom third as well.

to the lucky ones who have been called: what time of day did Mr. Rosso call?

Also Doc Adam: Do you know if UB helps students find housing? Esp. at such late notice... Just wondering.. B/c of course if I have to I would find somewhere just for myself, but realistically, moneywise, a roommate would be best..

ANYWAYS.. Thanks!
and keep us posted HELP!

Draven