SUNY Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opt2010

SUNY Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to start a thread to find out who will be attending SUNY for sure next year. This way, maybe we can help each other with housing, questions, etc.
Once we have some people listed through this thread, we can contact each other privately.

Members don't see this ad.

Opt2010 said:
Hi everyone,
I want to start a thread to find out who will be attending SUNY for sure next year. This way, maybe we can help each other with housing, questions, etc.
Once we have some people listed through this thread, we can contact each other privately.

ill be going to SUNY next year for the OD/PhD program so techinically ill be in the class of 2013 ! im looking forward to traveling across the country (i am from scocal) and meeting everyone!

Hey I'll be going to SUNY this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
yo!!!

ill see yall in the fall too!!! im definitely excited about moving from cali to nyc!!!

Same here! Wow, i'm making the move from Cali to NY too hahaa. It's gonna be one crazy summer. Anyone know when we start opt school classes - like early August or mid-August? I'm hoping to squeeze in as many travelling opportunities as I can! :D *so excited* And I think someone mentioned earlier that we're getting housing materials in April...? Is that still true?

kiseki said:
Same here! Wow, i'm making the move from Cali to NY too hahaa. It's gonna be one crazy summer. Anyone know when we start opt school classes - like early August or mid-August? I'm hoping to squeeze in as many travelling opportunities as I can! :D *so excited* And I think someone mentioned earlier that we're getting housing materials in April...? Is that still true?

i think school starts on aug. 22nd or sometime near then and i did hear we are suppose to get our housing stuff in april too

Hey guys!!!
Nice to meet you all.
School starts Aug 22nd and I think Orientation is Aug 18th-19th.
Are you guys going to be there in July for the housing meeting?

I'm from WA but I go to school in NY. I'm trying to become a NY state resident right now so I can pay less this far. Anyways, go West Coast!!!

hope we will be able to find housing real soon after we get there....hotels there are expensive!

anywhere hear anything about the new dorms they were building?

wow, i'm the only one so far in this thread whose from ny/going to suny. It's kinda funny because me and my friends are always saying how we would love to go to school in cali, it's always warm, sunny, and beautiful :D and over here, (at least upstate ny), where I go to school, it's always freezing, cloudy, and rainy. But manhattan is a lot better because the weather is milder and there is so much to do.

If you guys have any questions that I could possibly answer, feel free to ask =)

p.s. can you please say hi to the sun for me and ask it why it doesn't like to come to the other side of this country? :p

ac05 said:
wow, i'm the only one so far in this thread whose from ny/going to suny. It's kinda funny because me and my friends are always saying how we would love to go to school in cali, it's always warm, sunny, and beautiful :D and over here, (at least upstate ny), where I go to school, it's always freezing, cloudy, and rainy. But manhattan is a lot better because the weather is milder and there is so much to do.

If you guys have any questions that I could possibly answer, feel free to ask =)

p.s. can you please say hi to the sun for me and ask it why it doesn't like to come to the other side of this country? :p

socal is great and the weather cant be beat. but sometimes the sun is around just too much (i know we are spoiled!), i think itll be fun to experience the four seasons and maybe actually put on some snow boots!

one of my burning questions is: where are cheap places to buy things! everything there seems so expensive. hopefully you guys have ikea and some kind of cheap supermarket!

Of course! In manhattan, there's china town, you can find a very very wide variety of meat and vegtables, and it's very cheap. In queens there's flushing, the food there is very cheap. Chinese supermarkets = cheap

still_confused said:
socal is great and the weather cant be beat. but sometimes the sun is around just too much (i know we are spoiled!), i think itll be fun to experience the four seasons and maybe actually put on some snow boots!

one of my burning questions is: where are cheap places to buy things! everything there seems so expensive. hopefully you guys have ikea and some kind of cheap supermarket!

hey cali folks,

where are yall going to live???

i dont even know where to start lookin...haha~!!!

thxs aco5!

i looked at some craigslists listings and i think astoria would be the best place. rent is about 500-750 bucks and seems reasonable close to midtown

Members don't see this ad :)
still_confused said:
thxs aco5!

i looked at some craigslists listings and i think astoria would be the best place. rent is about 500-750 bucks and seems reasonable close to midtown

for a single roooM?

stompy said:
for a single roooM?

seems to be, though most are described as "cozy" which means real small

do you have any suggestions on what places to look or what places to avoid?

ac05 said:
Of course! In manhattan, there's china town, you can find a very very wide variety of meat and vegtables, and it's very cheap. In queens there's flushing, the food there is very cheap. Chinese supermarkets = cheap

It helps speaking the language though...Chinatowns here are not like "chinatown" in SoCal

still_confused said:
seems to be, though most are described as "cozy" which means real small

do you have any suggestions on what places to look or what places to avoid?

I think it depends on what you're looking for or what your primary concern is...price? distance? safety?

I'd say Astoria is a good compromise between all those.

stompy said:
It helps speaking the language though...Chinatowns here are not like "chinatown" in SoCal

I don't think language is a barrier, My chinese is very bad and I can still get everything I need without asking anyone. if you want meat or fish just point to the one you want, and tell them how many lbs you want.

Once you get to chinatown, around every block or so you will find a supermarket.

Astoria is a pretty nice place, at least the parts that I have been too, it's about a 10 minute train ride to the city.

I'm sure the people who set up the housing search will have a lot more information, they told me it is hard work, but everyone finds one, you won't have to live in a cardboard box or anything :laugh:

Yeah, language isn't a barrier for the most part. However, you could run into some trouble sometimes.

This past weekend there was actually a misunderstanding between me and the people at the store. The sign, I presume, actually says buy two bags of dumplings, get one bag of steam buns for free (which kills the deal since they overcharge on the first two bags of dumplings). I read it as buy two bags of dumplings, get one bag of dumplings for free. That caused some tension because the lady at the checkout didn't want to place anything back and she rung me up already. It ended with me putting everything back on the shelf for them and walking out. The culture is different. At least in American supermarkets, you can remove items from your bag without the cashier getting angry. I went to another "supermarket" and actually found things for cheaper.

At least things would've went more smoothly had I known how to read better...granted it was the only time I had trouble due to language...

By the way, those who frequent to Chinese supermarkets in SoCal will find "supermarkets" in Chinatown different. It may be that Chinese supermarkets in SoCal are just different from the general trend of Chinese supermarkets in Chinatowns across the nation/worldwide.

stompy said:
By the way, those who frequent to Chinese supermarkets in SoCal will find "supermarkets" in Chinatown different. It may be that Chinese supermarkets in SoCal are just different from the general trend of Chinese supermarkets in Chinatowns across the nation/worldwide.

im missing home already :(

ac05 said:

Hii,

I'm going to suny and i'm from ny also....anyone know anything about summer classes before first year??

sembaruthi said:
Hii,

I'm going to suny and i'm from ny also....anyone know anything about summer classes before first year??
The summer program runs for 6 weeks, and you take 2 classes and a lab that you would ordinarily take your first quarter (at least that's what it was before I started my first year).

There are a limited number of seats for the program -- for my class, it was 18. If you're interested, you need to contact Student Affairs as soon as possible before it fills up.

r_salis said:
The summer program runs for 6 weeks, and you take 2 classes and a lab that you would ordinarily take your first quarter (at least that's what it was before I started my first year).

There are a limited number of seats for the program -- for my class, it was 18. If you're interested, you need to contact Student Affairs as soon as possible before it fills up.

i didnt know there was a summer program and ifso-who get's to take it? Also is it just to get ahead faster and finish less than 4 yrs?

lc817 said:
i didnt know there was a summer program and ifso-who get's to take it? Also is it just to get ahead faster and finish less than 4 yrs?

FIRST COME FIRST SERVE! :smuggrin:

Nope, you don't get ahead/finish less than 4 yrs. Your load is just lighter than the rest of your classmates for your first quarter at SUNY :scared:

Hey guys,
So I got the letter about the FLEX program today. Are any of you doing it or has doing it before and would like to share your experience?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Opt2010 said:
Hey guys,
So I got the letter about the FLEX program today. Are any of you doing it or has doing it before and would like to share your experience?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

the student that i talked to during my interview says that its a great way to get acclimated to the school but at the same time gives ou a false sense of security on how rigorous the program is.

she did not recommend it

still_confused said:
the student that i talked to during my interview says that its a great way to get acclimated to the school but at the same time gives ou a false sense of security on how rigorous the program is.

she did not recommend it
I think the flex program is a great way to ease yourself into the SUNY program. You get a chance to get used to the school, and it gives you a few free hours in the fall quarter when everyone else is taking those classes. If you don't mind giving up that extra 6 (or maybe it's 8?) weeks of your summer, it's not a bad thing to do.

stompy said:
FIRST COME FIRST SERVE! :smuggrin:

Nope, you don't get ahead/finish less than 4 yrs. Your load is just lighter than the rest of your classmates for your first quarter at SUNY :scared:

Did anyone take this summer course/or plan to take it? Because I am a bit conflicted whether or not i should do it. It would be nicer to have a lighter load fall quarter but at the same time-it's the summer i just graduated and people telll me to take it easy and have fun before school starts. so confused! :confused:

lc817 said:
Did anyone take this summer course/or plan to take it? Because I am a bit conflicted whether or not i should do it. It would be nicer to have a lighter load fall quarter but at the same time-it's the summer i just graduated and people telll me to take it easy and have fun before school starts. so confused! :confused:

I'll be starting in the fall 0f 2006, and I know that I will definitely be enjoying my summer and not starting classes early (since we don't have many free ones left!)

is everyone going to the housing thing on july 7th? how long does it usually take to find an apartment? i know its a weird question but i was wondering how many days i should give myself so that i can book a flight and hotel

awww. i'm not going to be able to make it to housing day on july 7th. does anyone know if starting to look for a place july 19th or so would be too late? i'd also like to know approximately how long it might take... :confused: thanks for any advice!

anyone get thier finaid packet from suny yet? man i hope they got my fafsa!

hey guys,

is everyone going to buy the instruments from the school or buy them on thier own? has anyone found a good alternative to the school program?

still_confused said:
hey guys,

is everyone going to buy the instruments from the school or buy them on thier own? has anyone found a good alternative to the school program?
Unless you can find a source for used equipment, the prices SUNY gets on instruments are actually really good.

hello class of 2010! i'm in the class of 09 and was wondering if any of you are doing the summer flex program and would be interested in subletting my room in astoria. it will be available june to mid august. it's a huge room which was supposed to be a living room but we made it into a bedroom. three of us live here now but for the summer you would be sharing with only one other girl from 2010 who is doing summer flex. It's about 25 minutes to school on the N/W train, a really safe area and everything you need is within walking distance. Let me know if you are interested and want more information, and if you know of someone else please pass along my name. Also, for those of you considering living in Astoria, i'd highly recommend it if you want to save a little money and have a little more space. You can feel free to email me if you have questions about that also. ([email protected]) Enjoy your summer!

Allison

It was 100% refundable before April 1st. I'm not so sure about it now. You might want to call.

has anyone gotten finaid info from suny yet? im beginning to get antsy, they are sending us so much stuff and telling us to buy this and that, but the key is paying for tuition and i havent gotten anything regarding that, not even a sheet telling me how much exactly tuition is going to cost next year

Hey guys I'm curious when you all applied, interviewed specifically and got acceped? Thanks

jlo26 said:
Hey guys I'm curious when you all applied, interviewed specifically and got acceped? Thanks

i don't remember exactly when i applied...it was during the first week they were accepting applications (early august, i think) i was invited for an interview during september and actually had the interview late october. since i was attending a UC and submitted my application early, i had my interview at my school. i knew that i was accepted that same day. (dr. johnston told me i would receive an acceptence letter the next week.) hope this helps!

Congrats to you all!!!

I'm going to be starting my application process soon, and SUNY is my top choice. I was wondering if you all can post your gpas and oat scores for some sort of an idea of where i stand. thanxx