SUNY Downstate Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey. DoctorDon123, if you see this, when did you interview? It seems like it takes forever to hear, so if your stuff was mailed out supposedly on the 16th, just wondering how long the whole process took.

Members don't see this ad.

IF you guys really want to know the details regarding the clinical neuroscience pathway program, please contact me, Michael Amirian, known by my friends as the master of neuroscience, at [email protected].
Can any current downstate students comment on the clinical neurosciences pathway curriculum? I'm thinking of enrolling in it.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I highly recommend that all you incoming students live on campus so that we are more like to cross paths because I will most likely be HEAD-tutor for anatomy and histology for the incoming class. Also, please check out the latest video of my Downstate band. The link is as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPrWNSz1alk, filmed on campus.

Hey. DoctorDon123, if you see this, when did you interview? It seems like it takes forever to hear, so if your stuff was mailed out supposedly on the 16th, just wondering how long the whole process took.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please disregard anything that polinar has written. The dorms are a great place to live. I love it and I plan on living here for all 4 yrs. So, if you have any questions, email me at [email protected].

Hey there,

So I am just finishing up first year. I live at home and I LOVE IT!!!! There are so many better ways to spend 14,000 dollars lol TRUST ME :) The other nice thing is that you get to escape school. It can get rough being here 24/7.
Dont get me wrong... its nice to roll out of bed and go to class...but im not sure that luxury is worth the money downstate dorms charge. Check out the dorms...but in my opinion they are nothing like home. If you have any questions about commuting, parking, etc. just let me know :) See you all orientation!

-Polina

Ok so it's looking like I'll almost certainly be at Downstate next year. I do, however, have some serious concerns about my living situation over the next 4 years. I have lived in dorms for my entire undergrad experience but currently I live in a suite (with 3 other guys) and have my own bedroom. From what I can see of the layout of the rooms at the Downstate dorms, it looks like most rooms are doubles (2 in the same bedroom). I was wondering if this was the case, how you guys dealt with it (in terms of privacy concerns), and how likely it is that one might be able to get a single as an entering first year. I know that theres always the option to live elsewhere, but then I'd have to deal with subway commuting and I have concerns about the area after dark. In short, I'd rather not have to worry about getting mugged on the way to the subway if I decide to stay a little late at school.

Anyway, if any current Downstate student(s) could alleviate some of these concerns, that would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

I live off campus in manhattan..in my opinion so much better than stayin in the dorms at downstate cause there's absolutely nothing goin on over there. If you have concerns about the subway then you arent goin to be leaving downstate much then.. But honestly, you dont have to worry too much. There's a shuttle that leaves the campus and takes you to the subway station especially at night, if you decide to go out then you can call them from the subway to come pick you up and take you back to campus (in case you live in the dorms), if you are worried about walking to and from the subway. I'm not goin to lie to you, there have been instances, but you gotta be careful. There's no sense walking to the subway station at midnight.. just take the shuttle. you gotta be smart about it but that's with anywhere you go. I've done it for 2 years now and I have not once had a problem. Living in the dorms is good for the first year cause a lot of students in ur class live there..i think my year about 60% lived on campus and 40% lived off. Its up to your personal preference. I didnt live in the dorms first year cause when they did the lottery, the room i got would have two ppl living in the same room, same as it was freshmen year in college. So i lived off campus, I like it better too cause there's nothing really around downstate. But, do what you feel is more important to you.

hey peeps... im def going to downstate this fall, so hope to see all u guys in there. we should all have stickers on with our student dr screennames on them...
i think ill be driving in, so i hear theres some parking lot a block away thats cheap since the downstate lot is prebooked i hear.
-solly

hey peeps... im def going to downstate this fall, so hope to see all u guys in there. we should all have stickers on with our student dr screennames on them...
i think ill be driving in, so i hear theres some parking lot a block away thats cheap since the downstate lot is prebooked i hear.
-solly

Hey. Good to hear we got more people definitely set on Downstate. Look forward to meeting you all (with or without SDN screenname stickers).

Has anybody here gotten a response to their LINKAGE applications for 2007?

Hi Soggun

Linkage is an application for Postbacc students (program for college grads who didn't major in sci and/or complete their premed requirements) who apply a year early to a medical school that has a linkage program setup with the postbacc program. The decision is binding on the student's part.

mmmm... what is LINKAGE?

Hi Soggun

Linkage is an application for Postbacc students (program for college grads who didn't major in sci and/or complete their premed requirements) who apply a year early to a medical school that has a linkage program setup with the postbacc program. The decision is binding on the student's part.

Ah thanks, learn something new everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have time to go to the gym, you don't belong at downstate.

Join Downstate c/o 2011 on Facebook.

How often do current students actually attend lecture as opposed to listening to it podcasted?

How do you guys like the weight gym? Would you consider joining a gym somewhere else in Brooklyn? From what I remember the Downstate gym looked like Average Joes.

at downstate, we form close, personal relationships with the cadavers and a title like that is disrespectful.

there will be a memorial service May 31st. please submit a poem or short story to [email protected].

stickers are for pre-meds. doctors have their sdn screenames on their white coats.

bump.

-solly

Is there a dresscode at Downstate?

I visited a week or two ago (shadow-a-student) program and no one was dressed atypically with the exception of one kid who needed to be dressed up for something he was doing after class. Suffice to say, during lectures of the first two years I am just about 100% sure that there is no dress code.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know about this really awesome program at Downstate that lets you shadow doctors at the ER as first yr. med school students. It is an ER elective and you get to follow doctors in the ER around once a week. I did it and it was a great experience and now I want to be an ER Doctor. If you guys want more information about this program, I am the guy to contact at [email protected].

Hey guys, could someone who got accepted describe the letter they received in the mail?

Was it from the Board of Admissions? I got one from the VP of Student Affairs and wasn't sure if that was the official acceptance letter (it talks about Orientation). Since I did Linkage, I had been told my acceptance would be conditional, but the letter I got made no mention of conditions for acceptance. Thanks so much.

Hey guys, could someone who got accepted describe the letter they received in the mail?

Was it from the Board of Admissions? I got one from the VP of Student Affairs and wasn't sure if that was the official acceptance letter (it talks about Orientation). Since I did Linkage, I had been told my acceptance would be conditional, but the letter I got made no mention of conditions for acceptance. Thanks so much.

i think i got a different letter than you. it was in a brown folder. the cover letter said something to the effect of congrats now here is what you have to do by so and so time (ie health forms, transcripts, etc). the other sheets i htink were information sheets. not much to do with orientation. did it say in the letter you received when the white coat ceremony will be?

Didn't fully read diggitybop's post...., he said it.

hi and for those of you who are accepted WELCOME TO DOWNSTATE. for those of you who arent accepted yet (wait list, hold, whatever they are calling it these days) dont worry, lots of people get in last minute...downstate is infamous for that.

I am looking for someone who wants to sublet my room for all of july and the beginning of august (until school starts for me i am a MS2). its one bedroom in a three bedroom/ 1.5 bathroom apt in a brownstone. youll have the pleasure of sharing it with two lovely MS3 gals. they wont be around much, they start their rotations in july. the apt is centrally located in the Park Slope Historic District. 3 blocks from Prospect Park and in close proximity (no more than 5 blocks) to the q,b,2,3,r,n, subway lines and also extremely close to atlantic terminal (15minute walk max), not to mention a zillion bus lines. and more bars and restaurants than you can imagine. the room is airconditioned and the apartment has a washer, dryer, and dishwasher in it, so no lugging laundry around in the ridiculous summer heat. rent is $1033/month and will of course be pro-rated for august depending on how long you would like to stay.

email me with any questions you have about the place or about downstate in general. its really a great place.
-limbo

hey diggity - thanks for your response. I got the letter with the White coat ceremony date and information and what I needed to do with transcripts. I've called the admissions office and they couldn't confirm my acceptance and are looking into it. I'm holding my breath here. :scared:

i think i got a different letter than you. it was in a brown folder. the cover letter said something to the effect of congrats now here is what you have to do by so and so time (ie health forms, transcripts, etc). the other sheets i htink were information sheets. not much to do with orientation. did it say in the letter you received when the white coat ceremony will be?

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently a medical student here at Downstate, in between my second and third years.

First of all, let me congratulate you on your acceptance and your decision to attend Downstate. I think you'll find that it's a great school with a lot to offer.

I wanted to let you all know that I am a certified Basic Life Support Instructor for the American Heart Association. I have taught the CPR class that you're required to take numerous times (including recently to more than half of my classmates). I teach the same class that you would get elsewhere, just cheaper and faster. The class is $50 per person (compare with $75 elsewhere) and runs for a few hours. I teach it right here on the Downstate Campus. After you take the class it takes about 2 weeks for the certification card to come to you in the mail.

I am currently studying for the boards, but as soon as that's over (June 22nd) I'll post more information about how to contact me regarding the CPR class.

All the best,

Justin

Is it just me or is this thread turning into an info-mercial?

Agreed. If anyone wants to purchase a used XBOX, send me a PM.

Edit: But the deal for the BLS CPR certification class is pretty good. I had to pay $80 when I did it, and had to go to two sessions over roughly 3 hours long.

This is why Im hot. Im hot cuz im fly, u aint cuz u not. This is why, this is why, this is why Im hot.

Does any one know if the Downstate network supports Microsoft Vista?

regarding extracurriculars: A bunch of our SUNY downstate classmates are very involved (besides med school haha), I'm funny. We have people who do research, play musical instruments, sports (we have an amazing basketball team- Go Ramrods!) etc.

This past winter break, one of our classmates traveled to England to participate in a version of their "American Idol". We are so proud of him. He lets us put up a video of him performing and as a disclaimer to all you groupies out there- he is single and yes, you will meet him at orientation.
I will not give out any names. (click and paste)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2hyO-VDm1Kk

Hey guys,

It's me once again. I just can't get enough of posting on this website. I am sooooo looking forward to all of you coming to Downstate. I can't wait. I am excited for all of you. Well, I'm so excited that I had to tell you guys that I am going to be heading the Orientation Week FESTIVITIES!!!!!! I am going to work real hard to make it your best FIRST WEEK in medical school. SO, if you guys have any questions regarding orientation or orientation week itself, please do not hesitate to email me. I respond within 24 hours of getting emails on business days. My email address, as if you guys haven't seen it enough, is [email protected]. Make sure to wish me good luck on my Neuro Final. See you all soon!!!!!!

Hey guys,

It's me once again. I just can't get enough of posting on this website. I am sooooo looking forward to all of you coming to Downstate. I can't wait. I am excited for all of you. Well, I'm so excited that I had to tell you guys that I am going to be heading the Orientation Week FESTIVITIES!!!!!! I am going to work real hard to make it your best FIRST WEEK in medical school. SO, if you guys have any questions regarding orientation or orientation week itself, please do not hesitate to email me. I respond within 24 hours of getting emails on business days. My email address, as if you guys haven't seen it enough, is [email protected]. Make sure to wish me good luck on my Neuro Final. See you all soon!!!!!!

Good luck on your final(s).

Thanks for posting and answering questions.

I also have a question of my own. Do you live on campus? What are my chances of getting a single standard dorm room if I sent my forms in about 2 months ago. I heard there was a lottery for the rooms and I really don't want to get stuck with a roommate. I've had enough of doubling up after college. I'm hoping there's some sort of first come first serve policy that rewards the early bird.

Good luck on your final(s).

Thanks for posting and answering questions.

I also have a question of my own. Do you live on campus? What are my chances of getting a single standard dorm room if I sent my forms in about 2 months ago. I heard there was a lottery for the rooms and I really don't want to get stuck with a roommate. I've had enough of doubling up after college. I'm hoping there's some sort of first come first serve policy that rewards the early bird.

Yes I do live on campus and I love it. You have a really good chance, at least better than if you were applying for college dorms. You have a good chance. It will be a great experience. I love the dorms at Downstate. I plan on living here for the next 4 years and if I end up doing my residency at Downstate, I would love to continue living on campus. It's awesome. Don't worry too much about it and be ready to party come orientation week!!!! It's gonna be a wild week. And if the rest of you have any other questions, feel free to post or send an email to [email protected].

Does any one know if the Downstate network supports Microsoft Vista?
They've been updating the campus network so that it will be compatible with Vista, but I'm not sure if they have completed the work. I would check with Dr. Jim Neill ([email protected]) Director of Educational Computing, before purchasing a machine with vista.

Justin

hey solly85 - thanks for the info. looks like i'll be driving in as well - any more info on the cheap lot??
By the way, love the stickers idea...

-solly

hi guys, im applying now for the 2008 class and was wondering about the application process, specifically the MCAT requirements. i have a good solid GPA, tons of clinical experience, but unfortunately all my MCAT practice's have been in the 20's. Do you know if downstate accepts people with a lower than average MCAT? i take it next week! :eek:

Are you reconsidering your career choice?

Is the only thing you’re looking forward to is selling your books/flash cards to 1st years?

Do you remember NOTHING from any of the blocks?

Was the only block you honored Block 0?

If Yes.. Come...

Celebrate (or Sulk) and Show off your ECM1 communication skills

at...

Bar Hypoglossal

Exit through the Pre-Olivary sulcus and course into the

hypoglossal canal.. enter into the tongue on the ipsilateral side

err... I meannnnnnn

Bar XII
206 E 34th St (on 2nd Ave )
(Take the 6 to 33rd & Lex)
www.bar12.com
Friday, June 8th get there around 10-11

Specials all night..

$3 SoCo Lime Shots

$4 Draft, Bottles (Bud/Bud-Light)

$5 Wells

Soft-drinks on tap

SAY SUNY DOWNSTATE AT THE DOOR, PROCEED TO THE BACK AREA FOR WRISTBAND (specials) WE HAVE THE BACK AREA RESERVED

Special appearance by Pal-Wiegert (Bring your book to get an autograph next to your favorite section)

Brought to you by MC MMX ..
Party Like A Rockstar.

:D:D:smuggrin:

Party June 27th. Come out and party with me and find out why I'm hot. I'm the first year to know for any and all of your needs. Come party with me and hey girls, save me a dance. Email me if you have any questions at [email protected].

I'm holding 3 BLS certification classes this week on the Downstate Campus.

Monday June 25th, Tuesday June 26th and Thursday June 28th all at 6 PM - 5th floor of the Health Sciences building in Carrel C.

The class takes about an hour and a half and costs $50 per person. Please email me at [email protected] or call me at 516-456-9139 if you're interested.

all the best,

Justin

Hi,

I live in NYC now going to college. Im probably going to downstate med school. I live in the dorms right now in the city. I once looked for apartments in nyc and they all required that I make 40X monthly rent or my guarantor make 90X. Neither me nor my guarantor make that much. How can I get an apartment in NYC!? Help!

Can anyone help me make a choice between Downstate and Stony Brook? Was anyone in this situation? Thanks!

Hey, just got accepted off the alternate list and will be joining you guys this August. I'm so psyched. Have any of you found any good apartment buildings in park slope, and what is the approx. price range for rent? Thanks.

also just got off the alternate list

question on state residency, hope someone can help...

i read this on the admissions website:
The deadline for change of residency by matriculated students with appropriate documentation is one month prior to the registration date for your college for the next semester (you must file a change for residency status six weeks prior to the registration deadline that you wish to have the change in effect).

so, before what date do i need to have lived a year in new york to be in-state second year? sometime in july? should i be rushing out there and getting a place to live like, tomorrow? can i spend 1000 now to save 8000 later?

heya- i was just accepted off the alternate list last week and am thinking its time to scramble for an apartment... Im going to head to Brooklyn this weekend to scope out some places and was wondering if anyone wants to be roommates or is looking for a roommate? Send me a message and we can talk shop!

Does anyone know what the schedule is for the first three days of orientation? Did they post it anywhere? Are we basically in a lecture hall from 9 to 5?

also just got off the alternate list

question on state residency, hope someone can help...

i read this on the admissions website:
The deadline for change of residency by matriculated students with appropriate documentation is one month prior to the registration date for your college for the next semester (you must file a change for residency status six weeks prior to the registration deadline that you wish to have the change in effect).

so, before what date do i need to have lived a year in new york to be in-state second year? sometime in july? should i be rushing out there and getting a place to live like, tomorrow? can i spend 1000 now to save 8000 later?

Hi. I believe the way it works is that you have to be a resident in new york for over a year to qualify for in state status, so many of the out of state people in my class has to wait a year. If you're living in an apartment: just make that address your permanant address and change the address on all your bills ans stuff to there. If you're living in the dorms: one of my friends found a relative in new york and changes the address for his bills to their address. You can try doing this too so that, come next year, you'll have documentation that you're living in the state.

In your case, you can't apply for in-state status this year. But given the six week deadline for next year, you might want to try to get some bills changed to a new york address if you haven't already found an apartment.

You might want to double check with financial aid first since I haven't asked my friend if his status was officially changed from out-of-state to in state. I'm a third year now btw, so feel free to message with whatever questions about the first two years.

does anyone know if any on campus housing is still available? if so i probably won't be able to get a single, right? I realize it is very late in the game and beggars can't be choosers, but I really don't want to share my bedroom like freshman yr of undergrad all over againn

Hey all,

I know I haven't posted in a while on this site and you guys must have been waiting for me to post some sort of update:):):) I wanted to say that even though I told all of you to email me with any concerns you may have at [email protected], I have only gotten limited replies. I was hoping to interact with ALL of you before school started. I want the messages to keep on coming. Hey guys, think of me as your older brother. The girls can think of me as there friend's HOT older brother. Come on everyone, I cant wait until Orientation and I know you can't either. Hope to see you all there and mingle with you. Oh yea, girls, remember to save me a dance!!! If you have any further questions or concerns, please email them to me at [email protected].