SUNY DOWNSTATE commute survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chokwondo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any students walk from Park Slope to Suny Downstate. And also, how long it takes.

Members don't see this ad.

walking from park slope to downstate is not feasible -- it would be a 3-5 mile walk around or through the park.

you can ride a bike to campus though assuming the weather cooperates. most likely you'll take the train or drive in.

You might be able to manage it once a week or so but the neighborhoods are freaky and stressful to walk through (in my opinion) and time-wise you might want to just get home and to studying. It's a long walk -

Members don't see this ad :)
chokwondo said:
I was wondering if any students walk from Park Slope to Suny Downstate. And also, how long it takes.
Ah, the senic Brooklyn stroll. Don't forget to arm yourself :laugh:

Gulliver said:
Ah, the senic Brooklyn stroll. Don't forget to arm yourself :laugh:

:confused:

Is this really necessary? :mad:

docjolly said:

Yes. Have you ever visited the lovely neighborhood Downstate is in, docjolly? :rolleyes:

docjolly said:

Hey, if you don't inform this poster about what he'll be walking through, then you aren't doing him any favors. It's not a moral judgement. Just a safety concern. ;)

exactly in which brooklyn neighborhood is SUNY downstate located? What subway lines are nearby? and third question-if you were to take the subway from park slope to downstate, is the G your only option?

Gulliver said:
Yes. Have you ever visited the lovely neighborhood Downstate is in, docjolly? :rolleyes:

Well, not that my response would matter anyhow, seeing as how you've been banned (and probably may not return)...

However, I'll respond: Yes, I have visited the neighborhood extensively (both during the day and the evening )on several occasions, and I found no cause for concern..

phoenixsupra said:
Hey, if you don't inform this poster about what he'll be walking through, then you aren't doing him any favors. It's not a moral judgement. Just a safety concern. ;)

I understand this, but I'm almost certain that G's original response was not typed with the intent of providing safety concerns for the OP..

Whatever..

docjolly said:
I understand this, but I'm almost certain that G's original response was not typed with the intent of providing safety concerns for the OP..

Whatever..
Perhaps, but I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt. In any case, if as a girl, you're comfortable walking around the worst parts of Brooklyn, by day or night, then that's just great. But that's highly unusual. You know that, right?

phoenixsupra said:
Perhaps, but I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt. In any case, if as a girl, you're comfortable walking around the worst parts of Brooklyn, by day or night, then that's just great. But that's highly unusual. You know that, right?

By no means am I saying that I'm bullet proof :laugh: I understand that there is cause for concern for anyone, regardless of gender..However, I think that if a poster wants to inform someone of a potentially dangerous area, then it should be done so in an appropriate manner..Making jokes about the neighborhoods in which people live and/or attend school is both immature and ignorant..

Regardless, Pheonix, thank you for trying to clear the air :) :thumbup:

I don't know it you would want to walk it...it's pretty long especially on snow days. Perhaps you should take a cab or hop on the train!