SUNY Downstate Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Urticaria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about SUNY Downstate's derm program? Are residents happy with the program? How is the teaching/faculty?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a huge program, worthwhile if you want to be in NY

Heard good things about this program. Keep in mind they only take paper applications. I, unfortunately, didn't find this out until it was too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is one of the bigger programs, with the Ackerman academy (dermpath powerhouse) affiliation. The Chair is a character, and the program tends to take tall blondes. Residents are not known to be happy. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Women are well liked but you don't have to be blonde...brunettes can make it too. Just look at the current residents and you can see for yourself, it's a mix. You'll have to separately google the pictures from the names but pretty straightforward to do this.

It's harder to get research accomplished here if that is your preference...but possible. Many of the faculty are affiliated faculty with their separate private practices. The department has a good relationship with the JDD as many of them publish in here. Several of the faculty speak extensively at pharma sponsored events.

The residents get to engage in more cosmetics at this program than the average derm program.

Also, SOME of their recent resident graduates who have now gone on to be attendings continue to publish and on interesting topics.

Last edited:
Are you from or in the NYC area. It's in a really bad part of Brooklyn, first. Facilities are very run down.
Medical derm training is very good.

Are you from or in the NYC area. It's in a really bad part of Brooklyn, first. Facilities are very run down.
Medical derm training is very good.

I live two blocks away from SUNY Downstate and that part of Brooklyn is not that bad compared to the other parts of Brooklyn :D. You have Kings County Hospital across the street and everything is near by. There are several bus and train stations if you're a city person, like myself :cool:

Women are well liked but you don't have to be blonde...brunettes can make it too. Just look at the current residents and you can see for yourself, it's a mix. You'll have to separately google the pictures from the names but pretty straightforward to do this.

It's harder to get research accomplished here if that is your preference...but possible. Many of the faculty are affiliated faculty with their separate private practices. The department has a good relationship with the JDD as many of them publish in here. Several of the faculty speak extensively at pharma sponsored events.

The residents get to engage in more cosmetics at this program than the average derm program.

Also, SOME of their recent resident graduates who have now gone on to be attendings continue to publish and on interesting topics.

I can't remember who told me this, but my understanding (which could be wrong, of course) is that part of the female bias is due to a personal philosophy regarding the economics of males vs. females entering the profession. Generally, females tend to work fewer hours/part-time, so there is less over-saturation of the market down the road. That said, I know they've taken at least one Indian male (Deeptej Singh, 3rd year): http://www.downstate.edu/dermatology/residency_list.html

So...did this thread resurrect at the end of May because of why I think it did?

At any rate, they do cover more hospitals than just King's county (so you really should have a car even though it's in a city) and the weird thing about Downstate is that the residents there get paid different salaries for the same PGY year since each spot is linked with a particular hospital system's payscale and you're paid through that heath system. So there's a bizarrely large variance in salary even though everyone in theory has the same position.

Last edited:
And the reason is....?

Any open positions there?

i'm wondering about that plus the other 10 spots

i'm wondering about that plus the other 10 spots

Well a buddy interviewed there ~ 3 weeks ago, and he didn't get the spot at Buffalo. So, I know they picked someone...I just am curious as to who lol.

So...did this thread resurrect at the end of May because of why I think it did?

At any rate, they do cover more hospitals than just King's county (so you really should have a car even though it's in a city) and the weird thing about Downstate is that the residents there get paid different salaries for the same PGY year since each spot is linked with a particular hospital system's payscale and you're paid through that heath system. So there's a bizarrely large variance in salary even though everyone in theory has the same position.

I think that most major hospitals in Brooklyn pay for a resident via Downstate. Explains the huge program (22 next year) and why they cover so many hospitals.

the residents there get paid different salaries for the same PGY year since each spot is linked with a particular hospital system's payscale and you're paid through that heath system. So there's a bizarrely large variance in salary even though everyone in theory has the same position.

The "large variance in salary" you mention is approximately how much?