Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate Fall 2018 OT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Downstate notify you if you were rejected or do they just keep you hanging? I interviewed January 10th and haven't heard anything back yet.
I also interviewed back on 1/18 and haven't heard any updates. My interviewer said I should hear back in a month, but it's been like 5 weeks and still no update.. Tempted to give them a call.

Members don't see this ad.

ive seen in past forums some people don't find out if they're accepted or rejected till march/april

Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted Downstate and they told me they're sending out the next batch of decisions sometime this week. Good luck everyone.

To those who have been accepted, are you accepting the offer or rejecting?

Reactions: 1 users
I contacted Downstate and they told me they're sending out the next batch of decisions sometime this week. Good luck everyone.

To those who have been accepted, are you accepting the offer or rejecting?
Ahhhh hopefully I'll get some answers this week coming up I just hate not knowing. Have you heard of anyone that's been rejected?

Ahhhh hopefully I'll get some answers this week coming up I just hate not knowing. Have you heard of anyone that's been rejected?

The only person I remember that said that was gonna give up their seat was @Otmom95 about her daughter.

Does anyone have a ballpark number of how many students were accepted already?

interview with Prof. Pagpatan, overall gpa is 3.76, pre-requisites - 4.0, around 300 hrs of volunteering in different OT settings.
Hi! I have an interview with this professor as well in a week. Do you have any advice/feedback for him?

Does anyone know if the Application Status changes if you are waitlisted??

I haven't heard back at all either!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have an interview with this professor as well in a week. Do you have any advice/feedback for him?

He is very-very nice. My interview lasted about only 10 mins. He went through my papers and asked standard questions along line, nothing hard or treaky. Just be yourself, relax and answer what he is asking. Good luck!

Has anyone heard back? I was told we'd hear back already but still nothing. I called the office 3 times and no one picked up. Anyone have better luck reaching them??

He is very-very nice. My interview lasted about only 10 mins. He went through my papers and asked standard questions along line, nothing hard or treaky. Just be yourself, relax and answer what he is asking. Good luck!
I had an interview with him as well, but our conversation lasted about 30 minutes so I guess there is some variability.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back? I was told we'd hear back already but still nothing. I called the office 3 times and no one picked up. Anyone have better luck reaching them??
I havnt heard back at all yet either I tried calling but no luck. I emailed them now asking about an update. Ill let you know if i hear anything back

I havnt heard back at all yet either I tried calling but no luck. I emailed them now asking about an update. Ill let you know if i hear anything back
Thank you! What is their email?

Thank you! What is their email?
[email protected]
Thats their email adress

They responded saying

Your application is still being reviewed by the program.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Lyttle MPA, MBA
Associate Director of Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 60
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Phone: (718) 270-4360 ~ Fax: (718) 270-4775

[email protected]
Thats their email adress

They responded saying

Your application is still being reviewed by the program.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Lyttle MPA, MBA
Associate Director of Admissions
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 60
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Phone: (718) 270-4360 ~ Fax: (718) 270-4775

Lol.. thats such a useless response. I thought we were emailing the program administrator with extension - 1335

Lol.. thats such a useless response. I thought we were emailing the program administrator with extension - 1335
Totally! Oh thats probably better. Im not sure what the program coordinators email is though.

To those who got in.
Did you start or send already your medical papers from the checklist? I did, and there are no changes. I am curious how long does it take to update the requirement list?
@sugar214
@Otmom95
@Drock25

Last edited:
Just found out i'm on the alternate list :( Congrats to everyone who got in thus far!!!

Just found out i'm on the alternate list :( Congrats to everyone who got in thus far!!!
Thats the same as the waitlist right? I feel like a lot of people from their waitlist end up getting in so keep faith! I still have yet to hear back Did they email you?

Thats the same as the waitlist right? I feel like a lot of people from their waitlist end up getting in so keep faith! I still have yet to hear back Did they email you?
I received an email around 5pm that said "SUNY Downstate Medical Center Decision Now Available" which had me log onto the application portal (not the checklist) and there was a link to the decision status underneath the 'recommendation providers" list! Hopefully you hear back soon with good news!!

I also received an email saying I'm on the alternate list! Really hope I got accepted!

I'm very much in no man's land right now: interviewed 12/16 -- have not heard a peep since. I'm obviously not feeling optimistic, but as I know people have been accepted and waitlisted at this point, I'm wondering if there are others out there who have interviewed and remain with the application status of FORWARDED TO ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE FOR REVIEW

I called and spoke with the admissions dept last week and got a very general "Don't lose hope yet, we're still finalizing the pool...and you should know your status by the end of the month."

My questions are as follows: Is anyone else in a similar situation? Does anyone know whether rejections have been sent to anyone at this point?

I'm very much in no man's land right now: interviewed 12/16 -- have not heard a peep since. I'm obviously not feeling optimistic, but as I know people have been accepted and waitlisted at this point, I'm wondering if there are others out there who have interviewed and remain with the application status of FORWARDED TO ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE FOR REVIEW

I called and spoke with the admissions dept last week and got a very general "Don't lose hope yet, we're still finalizing the pool...and you should know your status by the end of the month."

My questions are as follows: Is anyone else in a similar situation? Does anyone know whether rejections have been sent to anyone at this point?
I'm in the total same boat I interview January 21 and haven't heard anything yet :/ and my status says the same as yours

I'm in the total same boat I interview January 21 and haven't heard anything yet :/ and my status says the same as yours
JUST received an email notification - I’ve been accepted! Best of luck to you, keep us posted!

Is anyone still waiting to hear back? I applied October 22nd and still haven't heard anything yet.

Has anyone thats gotten waitlisted, hear back or know of anyone thats gotten off the waitlist?

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!! Thrilled beyond words!

Does anyone have a sense of Downstate's summer (2 courses) and fall (full schedule) class schedules? 5 days a week? Approximate hours? In the meantime, I'm trying to contact the department as well... yay, childcare logistics!

Does anyone have a sense of Downstate's summer (2 courses) and fall (full schedule) class schedules? 5 days a week? Approximate hours? In the meantime, I'm trying to contact the department as well... yay, childcare logistics!

Take what I say with a grain of salt because the exact days may vary for you as they frequently change the schedule up until the semester begins. For summer you have class June until mid-August and then you have the last 2 weeks off. During the summer, gross anatomy is 3 days a week. We were in lecture from 9 AM to 10 AM and then lab 10 AM to 1 PM. We had a 1 hour break and then had palpation from 2 PM until 4 PM twice a week.

Foundations course is one day a week for 3 hours with a lunch break. It seems like you have a lot of free time in the summer, and you do, but most of the time you will (or should be) studying or practicing palpation - including weekends. However, you can still manage to have time for other things outside of school if you study a little bit every day. You learn a lot of material within the 2 months and a half - the material is not conceptually challenging but takes dedicated study time. Your study habits will be put to test - be open to adapting.

For fall you take 7 courses, where you can partially test out of one. You will be in class most days from 10 AM to 4 PM or 10 AM to 5 PM. Kinesiology is conceptually challenging if you have never been exposed to biomechanics and the like. The rest of the classes are a lot of written work and assignments. This semester really tests your time management as you have a lot less free time than summer, but if you manage your time properly by getting assignments done in advanced, and pay close attention in lecture you might not have to spend that much time studying. Really depends on the person. Many assignments and exams end up being due consecutively in one week - I can't emphasize time management enough. Do things in advanced as much as possible - do not wait until the week things are due to start it or until the exam week to start studying.

To summarize because I know this is a lot, it is challenging like you would expect of a graduate program, but manageable as long as you enter with the mindset that this will become your full time job.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because the exact days may vary for you as they frequently change the schedule up until the semester begins. For summer you have class June until mid-August and then you have the last 2 weeks off. During the summer, gross anatomy is 3 days a week. We were in lecture from 9 AM to 10 AM and then lab 10 AM to 1 PM. We had a 1 hour break and then had palpation from 2 PM until 4 PM twice a week.

Foundations course is one day a week for 3 hours with a lunch break. It seems like you have a lot of free time in the summer, and you do, but most of the time you will (or should be) studying or practicing palpation - including weekends. However, you can still manage to have time for other things outside of school if you study a little bit every day. You learn a lot of material within the 2 months and a half - the material is not conceptually challenging but takes dedicated study time. Your study habits will be put to test - be open to adapting.

For fall you take 7 courses, where you can partially test out of one. You will be in class most days from 10 AM to 4 PM or 10 AM to 5 PM. Kinesiology is conceptually challenging if you have never been exposed to biomechanics and the like. The rest of the classes are a lot of written work and assignments. This semester really tests your time management as you have a lot less free time than summer, but if you manage your time properly by getting assignments done in advanced, and pay close attention in lecture you might not have to spend that much time studying. Really depends on the person. Many assignments and exams end up being due consecutively in one week - I can't emphasize time management enough. Do things in advanced as much as possible - do not wait until the week things are due to start it or until the exam week to start studying.

To summarize because I know this is a lot, it is challenging like you would expect of a graduate program, but manageable as long as you enter with the mindset that this will become your full time job.
Thank you for such a wonderfully thorough and thoughtful response. I certainly won’t quote you on any of those details, but those insights are super helpful until I get an actual schedule.

Do you think it's a good idea to start studying now? If so, can you share the syllabus?

Also, does anyone know how/where we pay our deposit?

Do you think it's a good idea to start studying now? If so, can you share the syllabus?

Also, does anyone know how/where we pay our deposit?
A line item for the deposit will show up in your checklist a couple of days after you accept your offer. Similar to how you paid the application fee...but it definitely takes some time to appear.

For those who were accepted, is there an accepted students facebook page or anything? I am having a hard time finding a roommate

Congrats to every one accepted so far !!!!
Any one plan on dorming ? I did a tour and they look ancient lo. I'm looking at apartments in the neighborhood but so far nothing promising