SUNY Downstate Medical Center

Started by rx1312
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rx1312

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone here interview at SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn? If so, have you heard any rumors about the hospital closing down? I loved the program and definitely want to rank them but I don't know the future of the program.
 
I am interviewing for this program as well, I wished I had known this before buying my plane ticket for next week. I was very discouraged after reading these 2 articles:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...arn-200k-lich-closing-moves-article-1.1257273

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/n...k-may-close-long-island-college-hospital.html

Looks like we may know the status of closure by this Friday. I will ask them candidly about their future during the interview as it affects my future as well. Anyways, you can PM me if you have any questions. Also please check you PMs.
 
Guys, that's LICH you talking about, it's a small hospital that SUNY downstate bought, it's not SUNY. SUNY downstate is not likely to close because it's a safety net hospital, it's not there to make money, it's there to handle a poor neighborhood with a lot of problems (plus train tons of doctors). NY state will go bankrupt before they close it down

As far as the program itself for SUNY, it's really awesome. You develop an amazing relationship with the doctors who really have a passion for teaching and a sort of a brotherhood with the infectious disease people. The preceptor there is AMAZING as well, and so is the assistant director. I know because I spent 6 months there during my rotations. I honestly seriously considered residency just because of my experience there, even though it made no sense at all given my personal situation at the time I was in school.

As far as LICH goes, it's a bad program based on what I heard from my colleagues who interviewed there/did their rotations. It's only 2 ppl, so you might have a completely different experience. They will be probably close down as well, who knows when though?

This is LICH
http://accred.ashp.org/aps/pages/directory/residencyProgramInformation.aspx?ID=200288

This is SUNY
http://accred.ashp.org/aps/pages/directory/residencyProgramInformation.aspx?ID=200428
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are you applying to PGY1 or PGY2? PGY1 is at LICH and PGY2 (ID) is at SUNY. I interview there as well for PGY1, the director and residents did not mention about closing it down. I wish I knew. Anyway, would you guys post any news if you find out more about it? Thanks
 
are you applying to PGY1 or PGY2? PGY1 is at LICH and PGY2 (ID) is at SUNY. I interview there as well for PGY1, the director and residents did not mention about closing it down. I wish I knew. Anyway, would you guys post any news if you find out more about it? Thanks
I'm applying for PGY-1. My question is, if in fact LICH does close down, would the program be moved to the main hospital with the ID PGY-2? I hope we find the facts out soon- dowerk, we're counting on you to find out the information we couldn't at our interviews! 🙂
 
Well it's official:

http://www.suny.edu/sunynews/News.c...source=SUNY+Communications&utm_medium=twitter

So now I am at a cross roads. I am contacting the residency director, to see what's up. Either I refund a $500 dollar plane ticket or I take a chance and go there. It's a sensative subject to bring up to him, jeopordizing my potential position as a PGY1 as he will probably be losing his job. I am not sure thouogh.

All common sense says thouogh this program is likley to shut down.
 
Hey yeah I just read too. Did you already email him? Let me know what he says. Can you PM his response, or whatever you find out? Thanks.
 
Hey guys. I also emailed one of the resident. however, I have not heard back from them yet. I will keep you guys posted. please send me message as well. thanks!
 
I just talked to the resident and director and the residents, the PGY1 program is finished. They are going to pull from the match. GL to all those applying in the rest of your endevors.