SUNY Downstate- thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phonecard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is anyone familiar with Downstate? Is it a good school? I have heard that it is one of the more tougher PT programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually about to finish my first semester at Downstate next Friday.. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or concerns.. I really am enjoying the program so far

Just something to think about...and this is just personal preference. I know that at Downstate, anatomy is taught by students that have just finished their first year of med school. I am a first year student at LIU and we have 3 full-time faculty members teaching our anatomy (1 for lecture and all 3 in cadaver lab). It gives me peace of mind to know that I am being taught anatomy for PT and learning to think about anatomy the way that you need to be thinking about it in the clinic and to also be taught by professors that know how the PT boards are going to test your knowledge of anatomy. This may or may not be an issue for me, but a good question to ask during the interview process is how many of the classes are taught by full-time faculty members.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not entirely true, gym girl. If any gross anatomy course was taught by second year med students, that would be impressive. The med students TA the class, provide extra help and knowledge during cadaver dissection and hold daily reviews to ensure that we are learning what we need to know. The TAs go above and beyond to help us out and you wouldn't believe how much we benefited from having them. That's in addition to the 3 professors and numerous specialty guest lecturers we had throughout the class. Gross Anatomy is one of the first classes you take during any PT program so I wouldn't expect it to be PT heavy since early on you know minimally about disorders, how the body works, etc. It is what it is, a class that sets the foundation and gives you the knowledge base to grow upon and relate to the field of PT as you go further along in the program. But to say that second year med students teach the gross anatomy class is nonsense.

Does anyone know when Downstate starts to call in applicants for interviews? On my checklist, it says that my application has been forwarded to the admissions committee...so I wonder how long it takes to hear back...