SUNY Downstate vs George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vathem8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted to SUNY Downstate back in January and just came off the waitlist at George Washington with 7 days to decide. I like GW better on interview day, but I want to see whether people think I'd be making a mistake by going there. Also, please remove cost as a factor in the decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

SUNY Downstate. Washington, D.C has all the inconveniences of living in a big city without any of the perks. GW also shares a lot of it's clinical rotations with the other D.C schools (Howard and Georgetown)

That is not at all true about DC. It is a great city imo. I didn’t interview at GW but I was accepted to Downstate and withdrew, in large part because I didn’t like the area and didn’t want to stay in NYC.

Reactions: 2 users
SUNY Downstate. Washington, D.C has all the inconveniences of living in a big city without any of the perks. GW also shares a lot of it's clinical rotations with the other D.C schools (Howard and Georgetown)

The perks?? You mean access to restaurants, shopping, diversity, sports teams, attractions?? DC has all that. If you look at where GW is - it is in a very nice area of DC with a lot of fun things to do whereas Downstate is in a not so great area of Brooklyn. GW also has great opportunities for health policy, global health, and military and disaster medicine if you are into those things. It is also very conveniently located in relation to NIH and Children's National is one of the top Children's hospital in the country serving people from all over the world. Downstate is diverse as well, however. I'm not sure about the price difference for OP, but both are very expensive. I would go to GW - I don't think Downstate has anything that you would particularly be missing out on unless you really want to be near Manhattan

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you originally from? Do you have family members/friends/support that you would want to see regularly that would be less accessible in either situation?
Do you have a preference to work in either city/greater metropolitan area for your residency?

To be completely transparent I'm a current M3 at Downstate. Our facilities are pretty old but I like ~90% of my classmates. PM me if you have any detailed questions!

Hey! My main concern about Downstate is my experience with the administration hasn't been great and it seemed to me like the sense of community wasn't super strong there. The facilities are old of course but I think I can get past that. What are your thoughts on these points? I am from NY originally but I like the idea of exploring a new city which is why I'm considering GW. In terms of where I want to match, I'd probably like to be somewhere in the Northeast. Thanks!

Where are you originally from? Do you have family members/friends/support that you would want to see regularly that would be less accessible in either situation?
Do you have a preference to work in either city/greater metropolitan area for your residency?

To be completely transparent I'm a current M3 at Downstate. Our facilities are pretty old but I like ~90% of my classmates. PM me if you have any detailed questions!
Hey! My main concern about Downstate is my experience with the administration hasn't been great and it seemed to me like the sense of community wasn't super strong there. The facilities are old of course but I think I can get past that. What are your thoughts on these points? I am from NY originally but I like the idea of exploring a new city which is why I'm considering GW. In terms of where I want to match, I'd probably like to be somewhere in the Northeast. Thanks!

The administration is generally receptive/responsive but can definitely come across as disorganized due to poor staffing/inefficiencies. For the sense of community among students it really depends on what you get involved with on campus and how involved you get. It's hard for me to throw out a comparison since I only have n=1 but I think for the most part everyone finds their family/niche, if not within our class itself then with friends/family who may be nearby.

15k a year turns out to be nearly 75k at graduation with interest. Is being in a new city for 4 years worth that to you? If so, it seems like you are leaning towards GW

GW ended up giving me money so I'll be headed there since I think that's where I see the better fit. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 users