SUNY Downstate vs. SUNY Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tikascastle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of SDN's infinite wisdom. I know this has been posted in the past, but has either garnered little discussion or the post's are from 5 years ago.

For downstate:
-Amazing clinical experience
-P/F grades
-NYC is a huge plus and the match list seems to heavily favor NYC hospitals
but:
-School seems old and and facilities seem dated
-My interviewed literally scoffed when I mentioned research at Downstate: so I'm guessing it's not emphasized.

TBH I had a raging fever of 104 at the downstate interview and did not remember most of the tour.

for buffalo
-New campus will be here by the start of 2018= new facilities
-The admissions office and staff seem to be more friendly and receptive towards students
- More research oriented at buffalo
but:
-Match list seems to have most match into upstate areas. I would like to be in NYC post graduation
-Clinical areas are spread far apart.
-Not p/f grading

Please enlighten me on anything else I might be missing

Members don't see this ad.

I will say that I had a very thorough detailed conversation during my interview at downstate. I had a strong research background in basic science and essentially the interviewer assured me that while there was a ton of research at downstate, there is not the plethora of 'bench/basic science' research that you see at other institutions which have entire research buildings filled with labs. However he talked to me extensively about a lot of the clinical research going on at downstate and even pulled out some examples of his own work that was really interesting.

I agree with you that the facilities are dated.

All that being said, if you're priority is to match to NYC you should go to downstate. Just looking at their match, like 75% of their students stay in the city. I'd imagine that the rest likely could have if they wanted to.

Reactions: 1 user