SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madusa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to know if anyone has attended or is attending the OT program at SUNY Downstate and/or could provide information on the OT program at SUNY Downstate such as the admissions process and the program in general other than what is stated on their website?

Thanks,
Madusa:D

Members don't see this ad.

hi
i dont know of anything about the admissions process other than what is on the website. but i am applying to ot program for entrance to jun 09. The only thing I can say about admission try to attend one of the information sessions they hold. I think you will have a chance to see faculty. possibly learn more about admissions. when are U applying

Hi. As a current OT student at SUNY Downstate I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the program. I do not have any information regarding this years deadline for applications etc., though you can get all that from their website.

Let me just say this: If you get an opportunity to join us, DO! The OT program is one of the best in New York. The curriculum is very rigorous, but set up for every student's success. The faculty members are world renowned and experts in their fields, and the student body is just simply great. Oh, and by the way, it's more affordable than any other OT program in NY.;)

All the best and feel free to leave me any questions you might have.

OTStudentSUNY

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi OTStudentSUNY,

Thank you for responding to my post. :D I am currently working on my pre-reqs for OT school, and have received pre-advisement via email from the OT program director, who has been extremely helpful. However, I have the following questions:

1. On the SUNY Downstate website, I read that their is a required admissions interview...could you offer some advice as to how to best prepare for the interview? What are some questions that were asked? (In general, how was the interview process?)

2. On the application, we are asked to list the name, address, and phone number of the volunteer sites...do you know if they will contact the volunteer sites and should I let them know in advance that they will be contacted by the school?

3. I am aware that the OT program courses are offered during the day, however, I wanted to know what a typical class schedule looks like? (days/hours)

Sorry, I know I have lots of questions...:D

Thanks,
Madusa :D

Please, no need to apologize. I was in you shoes not too long ago. I know how you feel. OK, here I go.

1) The best way to prepare for the interview is to have a general good understanding of occupational therapy i.e. what OTs actually do in clinical settings etc. Also, be prepared to talk about your past experiences which may have impacted you and your decision to join this field. And, of course, there is always the strength vs. weakness question. There is an essay component for which you will be given app. 20 minutes to write an essay to a question they give you. The question I got was something like "What past experiences have prepared you to be a better OT and how. The interview was not intimidating at all; it was rather relaxed and conversation-like.

2) As far as I know the volunteer sites you list will not be contacted. (Again, as far as I know.) In fact, last year, when I applied, Downstate did not have an official prerequisite amount of hours to volunteer etc. like other universities have. However, they factor volunteering and observation very highly in their acceptance decisions. I'd be surprised if anyone got accepted without having significant observation of OT.

3) The program starts in the summer (mid June). In the summer semester we took Gross Anatomy and Foundations of OT I. A typical day was: 9:00 – 10:30 anatomy lecture, 10:45 – 12:45 anatomy lab (cadaver dissection) 2:00 – 4:00 palpation lab. Once a week we had Foundations of OT I from 9:00 – 1:00.
Now, this schedule was a breeze for what was to follow in the fall. We took 8 courses: Kinesiology, Kinesiology Lab, Psychiatry, Therapeutic occupations, Assistive Technology, Foundations of OT II, Group Process, and Research Methods. A typical day was school from 9:00 or 10:00 – 4:00 or 5:00. Then came paper writing (lots of paper writing) and studying (lots of studying). And then some sleep.

All in all, my first two semesters at Downstate were amazing. Again, it’s a very rigorous and demanding program, but definitely doable and very rewarding.

OTStudentSUNY

Hi.

Thank you very much for responding to my questions. :D You have been extremely helpful. My only concern is my ability to obtain more OT volunteer/observation experience. Since I work fulltime during the day, it has been very difficult finding OT volunteer opportunities during the evening and weekend...most therapy sessions occur during the weekday (9-5pm). I currently have about 20 hrs of OT volunteer/observation experience. Any suggestions of OT volunteer sites in the NYC area that could accomodate the need for evening/weekend hours?

Thanks,
Madusa :D

I dont know of a specific site that can accomodate evening or weekend hours. Sorry. If you're applying to Downstate there's no need to focus on how many hours (quantity) you observed but rather on the content of the sessions.

Here's a list from Downstate's website for volunteer sites:

Volunteers – Occupational Therapy Facilities

Beth Israel Medical Center
3 Dazian 1st Ave and 16th St.
New York, NY 10003
Elliot Katz, MS, OTR/L
212-420-4452
www.bethisraelny.org

The Brooklyn Hospital Center
121 DeKalb Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11210
Beate Nowack
718-250-8143
www.tbh.org

Coler – Goldwater Speciality Hospital & Nursing Facility
1 Main St.
Roosevelt Island, NY 10444
Peter Van Acker
212-848-6627
www.nyc.gov/html/hc/coler-goldwater/ home

Cobble Hill Health Center & Nursing Home
380 Henry St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Arthur Zolotarevsky, Director of Rehab
718-855-6789 x 132
www.cobblehill.org

Cabrini Medical Center
227 E. 19th St.
New York, NY 10003
Vanessa
212-995-6953
www.cabrininy.org

Harlem Hospital Center
Dept of Psychiatry Activities Therapy
506 Lenox Ave
New York, NY 10029
212-939-3002
www.nyc.gov/html/hhc/html/facilities/harlem.shtml

Downstate Medical Center
450 Clarkson Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11203
718-270-4118 Rehab - Kate Robbins - Rehab
718-270-2537 Behavioral Health - Mabel Martinez-Almonte
www.downstate.edu

Hillside Hospital
75-59 263rd St PO Box 38
Glen Oaks, NY 11004
Sharon Faust
718-469-8364
www.lij.edu/hil

Kings County Medical Center
Behavioral Health
451 Clarkson Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11203
718-245-2368 Behavioral Health - Ed Forman
718-245-7313 – Rehab - Carol Wilson Smith
www.nyc.gov/html/hhc/html/facilities/kings.shtml

Kings Harbor Multicare Center
2000 East Gunhill Rd.
Bronx, NY 10469
Jane Albore, OTR
718-405-3531, x 532
www.kingsharbor.com

Transitions of Long Island
1554 Northern Blvd
Manhasset, NY 11030
Tammy McGowen, OTR
516-719-3752
www.lij.edu/lijh/tli.org

Mt. Sinai Medical Center
1 Gustave Levy Place
Box 1240
New York, NY 10029
Jason VanDeven, OTR
212-241-9187
www.msmc.edu

Metropolitan Hospital Center
1901 First Ave
New York, NY 10029
Arthur Flatow 212-423-6230 x 6753
Frances Gary-Blount x 8644
www.nyc.gov/html/hhc/html/facilities/metropolitan.shtml

New York Univ Medical Center
Volunteer Services Dept.
400 E. 34th St.
New York, NY 10016
Jabeen Dinzey
212-263-6100
[email protected]

Parker Jewish Geriatric Inst
271-11 76th Ave
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Delores Merrion
718-289-2298
www.parkerinstitute.org

Saint Barnabas Hospital/Nsg.Home
183rd St & 3rd Ave
Bronx, NY 10457
Tony Cheung
718-960-9000 x 3983
www.stbarnabashospital.org

Saint Elizabeth Ann’s Health Care & Rehab Center
91 Tompkins Ave
Staten Island, NY 10304
Mary Manaker, OTR
718-876-1204
www.svcmc.org/stelizabethann

SPOTS
611 Broadway Rm 901
New York, NY 10012
Prudence Heisler
212-473-0011
www.spotsot.com

Southside Hospital
OT dept 301 Main St
Bayshore, NY 11706
Joanne Lein, OTR
631-968-3736
www.southsidehospital.org

Taconic DDSO (Wassaic Dev)
Rural Route 1
Box 27
Wassaic, NY 12592
Deborah Shaffer
845-877-6821 x 3679
www.omr.state.ny.us/ws/ws_taconic_ resources.jsp

Saint Vincent’s Hospital
Psych O.T. Dept.
144 W. 12th St. Reiss 3
New York, NY 10011
Anne Robinson
212-604-8612 x 8201/2
www.svcmc.org/manhattan

http://www.downstate.edu/CHRP/ot/voluteer.html

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Again, thank you so much for all the information you've provided.:D I will definitely contact some of the sites on your list that I haven't already contacted.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!! :)

Madusa

do you know what the average gpa of students admitted into the program, average GRE, amount of hours, or anything else? Do you think if anatomy and physiology was retaken and got b's the second time would it be a major hindrance?
Thanks for any help.